rist) and D Mark Borowiecki (leg) remain sidelined for | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
miaowang123
miaowang123 Nov 10 '17
OAKLAND, Calif. Eric Lindros Jersey . -- Two of the American Leagues top teams have struggling closers who are accustomed to being among the best in baseball. Joe Nathan held on through another rocky ninth inning for his 13th save a day after blowing one, and the Detroit Tigers beat the Oakland Athletics 5-4 on Thursday for a split of the four-game series between division leaders. "If Joes on youre going to have quick outs. Hes been one of the best closers, he had an unbelievable year last year," Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said. "If hes on, hell get quick outs. It just wasnt today." On the other side, Oaklands Jim Johnson -- the 2013 AL saves leader -- walked off the mound to boos from the home crowd after allowing two runs in the seventh. He is pitching in lower-pressure situations for now. "What am I supposed to do?" he said of the crowd treatment. "I dont know what to tell you. Balls are finding holes. Im throwing pretty good pitches, I just feel like Im in a little bit of bad luck. I dont think its as bad as it really seems. I think everybody else thinks that way." Miguel Cabrera hit a go-ahead sacrifice fly in the fifth to back Rick Porcellos eighth victory. Porcello (8-2) overcame a career-high six walks, three shy of his season total coming into Thursdays start. Nathan allowed Josh Donaldsons leadoff double, an RBI infield single by Yoenis Cespedes and Josh Reddicks run-scoring double before pinch-hitter Jed Lowrie grounded out to end the game. It was Nathans first outing since he surrendered Donaldsons game-ending three-run homer in Wednesdays 3-1 loss for his fourth blown save opportunity. "You guys can get the guys that did their part. You can write whatever you want," Nathan said. Victor Martinez doubled home two runs in the seventh and Cabrera also had an RBI groundout for the Tigers, who head to Seattle for the weekend before returning home. Nick Punto hit a two-run homer in the fourth for Oakland, which wasted chances all game to lose for only the seventh time in 20 games. Porcello moved into second place in the American League for wins behind Torontos Mark Buehrle. He did just enough this time, coming off his second loss of the year Saturday against Texas in which he was tagged for eight runs and 12 hits in 5 1-3 innings. "Its no secret I was all over the place," Porcello said. "I was fortunate to get out of some of the innings." Porcello improved to 5-1 on the road. He allowed five hits and two runs with four strikeouts in 5 2-3 innings. Oakland starter Jesse Chavez (4-3) lost consecutive starts for the first time this season following a two-game winning streak. His pitch count went up in a hurry. The right-hander walked two of his first three batters but escaped a rough first inning unscathed. After Ian Kinsler lined out to start the game, Chavez walked the next two and received a mound visit from pitching coach Curt Young after going to 2-0 on cleanup hitter Victor Martinez. Martinez then singled and J.D. Martinez grounded into an inning-ending double play. The As left the bases loaded in the second and sixth innings, and also squandered scoring chances in the first, fifth and seventh. They had the tying run on second and go-ahead run on first to end the game, leaving 14 on base in all. "We had plenty of opportunities," manager Bob Melvin said. "We had some situational at-bats where we didnt come through." AL Central-leading Detroit, which eliminated the two-time defending AL West champion As in a five-game division series each of the past two Octobers, won for just the third time in 11 games following a six-game winning streak. NOTES: Tigers OF Rajai Davis was held out of the lineup with lingering soreness in his left shoulder that he hurt while diving for a fly ball during the second inning Wednesday night. ... Ausmus decided to give 38-year-old Torii Hunter an unscheduled day off. "Weve got to give him a day off because hes an old man," Ausmus joked. "We need him for the long haul." ... As setup man Ryan Cook, on the DL since May 9 with a forearm strain, threw a bullpen session and could begin a rehab assignment within the next week. ... Tigers OF Andy Dirks has been throwing long toss from 120 feet as he continues to recover from lower back surgery. ... Oakland LHP Drew Pomeranz (4-2), who pitches the series opener against the Angels on Friday, has won three of his four starts since being moved into the rotation. ... Tigers ace Justin Verlander (5-4) takes the mound at Seattle on Friday trying to snap a two-start losing streak. Bernie Parent Jersey . JOHNS, N. Ivan Provorov Jersey . After not scoring 40 points in the opening quarter in the last five seasons, the Rockets have done it five times this season and twice in the last three games.OTTAWA - The Toronto Maple Leafs fought hard through the last 40 minutes of Wednesdays game. But it was the first 20 that did them in.The Ottawa Senators scored three times in the first period and held on for a 4-3 win to send the Maple Leafs to the all-star break on a six-game losing streak.I scratch my head when I talk about that first period again, said Torontos interim head coach Peter Horachek. That was totally done by ourselves, to ourselves, to a team that played (Tuesday) night.We wanted to play more like we played in the second and third period and come out with some energy and put more pucks to the net and create more chances, but its a strange situation so weve got to correct that for sure.Toronto is now 1-7 under Horachek and has just three wins in its last 17 games.Erik Karlsson scored twice to lead the Senators (19-18-9), who were coming off a 3-2 overtime loss in New York on Tuesday night, while Mike Hoffman and Mika Zibanejad also scored. Craig Anderson stopped 37 shots.Nazem Kadri, David Clarkson and James van Riemsdyk replied for the Leafs (22-23-3). James Reimer made 22 saves and lost for just the second time in his career at Canadian Tire Centre (8-2-0).We just have to keep trying to move forward, said Kadri. Thats really all we can do is try and stay positive and we just have to play with that desperation through 60 minutes instead of 40 or 45.Added Reimer: We didnt have a good start. Obviously you cant get down 3-0 and then expect to win in this league. I thought we did a great job of battling back and working hard in the last 40 minutes, but just ended up falling a bit short.Toronto made things interesting for the 18,894 on hand as Kadri scored a power-play goal at 2:36 of the third period. Kadri took a pass from Morgan Rielly and beat a screened Anderson to make it 3-2.The Leafs did their best to score the equalizer, but were unable to create any real solid scoring chances, and with less than five minutes remaining in regulation, Karlsson scored his second of the night to make it 4-2. Milan Michalek grabbed the puck behind the net and found Karlsson jjust inside the blue-line and he beat Reimer glove side. Jori Lehtera Jersey. Van Riemsdyk scored at 18:37 to again pull Toronto to within a goal, but thats the closest the Leafs would get.It was a big win for us, said Anderson. We make sure the fans get everything they pay for when we make it close at the end.I had confidence in the guys that we were going to get the job done, added Anderson. We made sure that we got the puck out of our zone to end the game and thats huge for us to get some confidence heading into the break. We can come back hopefully feeling good about ourselves and we can continue to play well.The Maple Leafs had a better second period but were only able to beat Anderson once. Clarkson, with just his second goal in 20 games, got the Leafs on the board at the 13-minute mark of the period.The Senators nearly regained the three-goal lead late in the period, but Reimer was able to stop a 2-on-1 to keep the Leafs within reach.Toronto had an opportunity to score in the opening minutes of the game as Phil Kessel had a breakaway, but shot wide of the net. Less than a minute later Mark Stone, who extended his point streak to seven games with an assist (2G, 6A), fed Hoffman at centre ice and he beat Reimer with a shot under the crossbar.Midway through the first period, Karlsson scored his 10th goal of the season following a great give-and-go with Hoffman.The Senators capped the period scoring on a delayed penalty call as Bobby Ryan found Zibanejad all alone.We came out strong and definitely got the advantage right off the hop, said Hoffman. We knew they were going to come back and make a strong push. They got a few, we got a few and our goalie played well.At the end of the day (we) just stuck with it and played for 60 minutes and came out with the two points.Notes: D Chris Phillips, C Colin Greening and C David Legwand were healthy scratches. C Zack Smith (wrist) and D Mark Borowiecki (leg) remain sidelined for the Senators. Toronto D Stephane Robidas and D Korbinian Holzer were healthy scratches, while Leo Komarov remains sidelined with a lower body injury. Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
Share: