dangerous when the pressure is off and they | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
miaowang123
miaowang123 Oct 29 '17
PHOENIX -- The Arizona Diamondbacks have extended the contracts of manager Kirk Gibson and general manager Kevin Towers. J.J. Wilcox Jersey . Contracts for both had been set to expire after the coming season. The team would not divulge the lengths of the contracts or even whether the lengths were the same for both. Team President Derrick Hall said after Mondays announcement that Gibson and Towers asked that the length of the deals be kept secret. "I dont understand why the contracts of people in management are public knowledge," Towers said. "Its between myself, Derrick, (managing general partner) Ken (Kendrick) and Gibby." Last October, the team declined to exercise options to extend both contracts, but Hall said he has felt all along that the Diamondbacks shouldnt go into the season with the two facing the last year of their deals. "Theres constant distraction and a labeling of whos on the hot seat," Hall said, "Are they feeling the pressure?" Besides, Hall said, "These are guys I have a lot of confidence in." In fact, Hall said he probably would have preferred to have the extensions in place sooner. He said that when the contracts werent extended last fall, it was with the understanding that there would be talks on a new deal for both. Gibson and Towers have had three full seasons together, and their most successful was their first. The Diamondbacks won 94 games in 2012 and took the NL West title before falling to Milwaukee in five games in the divisional playoffs. Arizona has gone 81-81 each of the past two seasons. "Im certainly very excited," Towers said, "as is Gibby. This is a place where we hope we get to spend the rest of our careers at." Gibson, a standout football player at Michigan State, played 17 seasons in the majors, 12 with the Detroit Tigers. He signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1988, earning the NL most valuable player award. In the playoffs that season, he hit one of the most memorable home runs in World Series history. Playing virtually on one leg because of a severe knee injury, Gibson hit a game-winning, two-run home run off Oaklands Dennis Eckersley in Game 1, limping around the bases and pumping his fist in triumph. The Dodgers went on to win the series. Gibson was hired as Arizonas bench coach in 2007 and was named interim manager when A.J. Hinch was fired on July 1, 2010. Towers, former GM of the San Diego Padres, came on board as general manager in September of that year, and one of his first decisions was whether to keep Gibson as manager. He did and the team went on to have that highly successful 2010 season. But the Diamondbacks stumbled the next two seasons in the vastly improved NL West, with pitching-rich San Francisco winning in 2012 and the just-plain-rich Dodgers taking it in 2013. Towers said he wants to develop "a ball club that not only has a chance to win the NL West but hopefully go deep into the post-season." "I dont take these things lightly," he said. "There are only 30 of these jobs." He said that the jobs "arent easy" and require the confidence of the clubs top executives and ownership. Towers said that going into the final year of a contract probably would have been more of a distraction for Gibson, given the high public profile of the managers job and his duties directing a teams day-to-day operation. Pitchers and catchers report for spring training at the Diamondbacks Scottsdale facility on Thursday. They are the first team to begin spring training because of Arizonas early season-opening two-game series against the Dodgers in Australia. Towers has said the team wants to acquire a No. 1 starter, but added on Monday "theres not too many of those guys out there." "The markets not the same as it was two months ago," he said. Sean Davis Jersey . This was one of them. Omar Infante homered and tied a career high with six RBIs to carry the Kansas City Royals over the Baltimore Orioles 9-3 on Sunday. L.C. Greenwood Jersey . A criminal complaint filed in Hennepin County District Court said his girlfriend told police they got into the argument early Thursday at his suburban Minneapolis home.Charlie Nicholas believes it is time for Arsene Wenger to step aside but has called for respectful protests on Saturday. Supporters groups have arranged demonstrations at the Emirates during their clash with Norwich, calling for fans to display banners at the 12th and 78th minute to display their displeasure at the clubs failure to win the Premier League in 12 years.Nicholas is himself in agreement that it is time for Wenger to go, but feels that his 20-year reign warrants fans to show respect in expressing their views. Arsene Wenger knows his past successes mean Arsenals fan expect trophies each season He told Sky Sports: I believe myself that it is time for Arsene to step aside and I never thought Id say those words, but I want it done in a way that is done with humility and dignity, if such a thing is possible.However, I wouldnt have a problem if he stayed, but he has to realise mistakes have been made and solve those problems this summer. Protesting has its place, but I just hope they do it with a big of dignity and it doesnt get angry. Charlie Nicholas on Arsenal fan protests I said on Soccer Saturday last weekend that this will only grow and grow as the fans will be thinking these home games against Norwich and Aston Villa should be where theyre securing the title.My opinion is similar to the majority of fans but I find it difficult to be as hard hitting as some of them, but then again theyre paying the big money, more than anyone else in the league, and because of that their influence and opinion carries a greater weight than mine does from the studio. Fans protested against Arsene Wenger in their last home game Protesting has its place, just as the Liverpool fans did in the correct way with the price increases, but I just hope they do it with a bit of dignity and it doesnt get angry. Rod Woodson Jersey. I just dont see the need for the silly big banners, ridiculous songs and angry demands. It would be a big shame if there was trouble because of it. Charlie predicts Find out what Charlie is tipping up for Arsenal v Norwich here. Some sections are also calling for majority owner Stan Kroenke to step aside, but Nicholas isnt convinced he is the right man to blame.Is this just about Wenger or is this about Kroenke as well because they feel hes holding money back? he added. Wenger in the spotlight Poor form and questionable decision-making has put Arsene Wenger in the spotlight at Arsenal. I think what theyre suggesting is that Kroenke has been holding money back, which is obviously highlighted because he hasnt had a successful time.The frustrating part is that he doesnt say much and Id love a strong personality running the club, but dont see that being the real problem. Arsenals title hopes were killed off at Sunderland last Sunday Theyve had all this money as its been spent on Mesut Ozil, Alexis Sanchez and Petr Cech but what Wengers not been getting in is the right players as hes still missing a top centre-half and a centre-forward.The Soccer Saturday pundit does, however, expect the players to evade the fans wrath.I dont think the players will pay much attention because its the manager and the owner that are taking the brunt of the abuse, Nicholas said.I think Norwich could be on receiving end of a backlash this weekend because this side are at their most dangerous when the pressure is off and they can play their football. Also See: Back us, Wenger urges fans Welbeck winner tops Twitter list Wenger in the spotlight Cazorla set for Arsenal return Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys ChinaCheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
Share: