Broncos Sean Payton subtly insulted his own front office during rant about Russell Wilsons 2022 struggles | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
ymakerpi8d
ymakerpi8d Mar 13
If one thing became clear this week, it's that Sean Payton definitely wasn't a fan of the coaching job that Nathaniel Hackett pulled off in Denver last season.During , Payton said that Hackett's one-year stint with the was one of the "worst coaching jobs in the history of the ." Although Payton ripped Hackett -- and you -- he also took a subtle shot at his own front office.At one point during his interview, Payton was asked about the Dewayne Dedmon Jersey i sues with , and while he placed some of the blame for Wilson's problems on Hackett, he also threw general manager George Paton and team president Damani Leech under the bus, two people still with the organization in the same job Justin James Jersey that they held last year. "A lot of people had dirt on their hands," Payton said of Wilson's struggles. "It wasn't just Ru sell. He didn't just flip. He still has it. This B.S. that he hit a wall? Shoot, they couldn't get a play in. They were 29th in the league in pre-snap penalties on both sides of the ball." After that, Payton pointed to the fact that Wilson should have never received the special treatment he was given."That wasn't his fault," Payton added. "That was the parents who allowed it. That's not an incrimination on him but an incrimination on the head coach, the GM, the president and everybody else who watched it all happen."The head coach was Hackett, who's obviously no longer with the team, but the GM and president are still with the team, and you have to think Paton and Leach weren't thrilled to be Hassan Whiteside Jersey mentioned in Payton's scorched earth interview. Most coaches wouldn't throw their current general manager or president under the bus -- they'd be worried about losing their job -- but Payton did it, which proves how much power he wields in the organization. As , Payton is the one in charge now with Paton basically losing a lot of power that he had before Payton's arrival. "Instead of making all Jabari Parker Jersey the decisions in free agency and the draft, as he did with the previous coach, Paton this time won't make a pick or a trade without Payton's approval."The Broncos president and GM are two guys Payton has to see nearly every day, so it will be interesting to see if the coach's comments create any sort of rift in the organization.No matter how you feel, it's never a good look to throw your organization under the bus -- whether it's the front office or the prior coaching staff -- and Payton seems to have realized. During , The Broncos coach said his comments were a mistake. Nemanja Bjelica Jersey "I said what I said, and obviously, I needed a little bit more restraint, and I regret that," Payton said.Payton also said he and Hackett at some point. He'll need to do it somewhat soon though, since the two teams will be facing each other in Week 5.
Share: