Calipari has done it four times in his coaching career .. | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
miaowang123
miaowang123 Dec 26 '17
BOSTON - Nineteen years into his Hall of Fame career, Derek Jeter may have produced his final first. Darius Slay Jr Jersey .The New York Yankees shortstop asked out of the lineup for Friday nights 3-2 win over the Boston Red Sox a€” something neither Jeter nor manager Joe Girardi could remember him ever doing before.Jeter watched the opener of his final major league series from the dugout, taking it easy a day after his walk-off single finished off an emotional farewell to Yankee Stadium.I dont think I really slept a€” maybe a couple of hours, Jeter told reporters. I dont know if I could play tonight if I was playing tonight. Last night was as special as it gets.Since announcing in spring training that this would be his final season, Jeter has been celebrated across the major leagues, collecting gifts at each stop and applause from former opponents and their fans. Then came his final home game, when the pregame cheers were surpassed by the postgame celebration after he led the Yankees to another win.I was thinking how fitting it was, what a great night it was, Girardi said before Fridays game. Im sure hes emotionally drained, probably physically drained.With both the Yankees and Red Sox eliminated from playoff contention, Girardi compiled a lineup missing many of his regulars and joked that it looked more like spring training roster. Eury Perez batted in Jeters familiar No. 2 spot a€” and collected his first major league hit a€” and Brendan Ryan played shortstop.Jeter said he would be back in the lineup on Saturday and Sunday a€” but as designated hitter, so his final memories as a shortstop would be in Yankee Stadium. Girardi told Jeter he could play any position but pitcher or catcher this weekend if he had the urge a€” including manager.Jeter declined.I dont pay attention enough, he said. When Im not playing, Im all over the place.A 14-time All-Star and five-time World Series champion, Jeter has collected 3,463 hits in his career along with the near-universal respect from teammates and opponents alike. Even in Boston, where fans hate the Yankees like no other team, most of the animosity was reserved for Alex Rodriguez or Red Sox defectors like Johnny Damon and Roger Clemens.The sold-out crowd, peppered with fans in pinstriped No. 2 jerseys, chanted Jeters name in the second inning a€” something that would not have been tolerated a decade ago, when Bostonians wore profane T-shirts about Jeter and argued that Nomar Garciaparra was a better shortstop.Since then, though, the Red Sox have ended their eight-decade World Series drought a€” winning three titles in 10 years, in fact a€” and the rivalry has lost some of its edge.I think after they won a€” I dont want to say they softened up, I would say I think theyre kinder, said Jeter, who ventured onto the streets of Boston for lunch on Friday afternoon and was greeted warmly. People were saying, Congratulations for the career. Im a Red Sox fan and I hate the Yankees, but I respect you.Even when I was walking here through the stands, people were cheering. I remember in 1999, when I was here for the All-Star Game ... I remember getting out of the car and I thought they were going to kill me. Funny how things have changed.And the feeling is mutual.Although his night off no doubt disappointed those who bought a ticket for an otherwise meaningless game hoping to see a part of history, Jeter said he would play the final two games of the season out of respect for the rivalry.Its always difficult at this point because everybody wants to see him, Girardi said. I think Derek understands the magnitude of the rivalry and the importance of it in the game of baseball. ... I think theres a huge amount of respect too for what these organizations have done for the game of baseball.Red Sox manager John Farrell said Jeters Yankee Stadium finale was special, and he expects the good feelings to surround this weekend, too.The game has an incredible way of creating unique opportunities, Farrell said. His 3,000th hit is a solo home run, his last at-bat at Yankee Stadium is a walk-off. The game provides us opportunities that embed memories, and thats certainly one of them.Elsewhere in baseball, they were also talking about Jeter.When you look at great players, you look at them as the heat turns up, they get calm, Washington Nationals manager Matt Williams said. Not everybody can do that. But hes one of them that can. ... Thats why he got the hit last night. Because the situation is never too big for him.___AP Sports Writer Howard Fendrich in Washington, D.C., and freelancer Ken Powtak in Boston contributed to this report. Tahir Whitehead Jersey . - Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr has nothing but good problems right now. Cornelius Lucas Jersey . -- Isaiah Pead took a stutter step forward, then raced to the left sideline and travelled 60 yards up the field before finally getting tripped up by a leg tackle.Lexington, KY (SportsNetwork.com) - Aaron Harrison scored all of his 14 points in the second half and No. 1 Kentucky got all it could handle from Vanderbilt before pulling away late for a 65-57 win on Tuesday. Vandy was within three with five minutes to play and four at 2:36 after Matthew Fisher-Davis drilled his fourth 3-pointer of the game. Harrison answered with a trey of his own, and his brother Andrew scored on a layup to help the nations top team stay unbeaten. I think he played so well in the second half, said Kentucky coach John Calipari. Thats who he is. And I thought his brother played that well, too. They both played with unbelievable energy. Dakari Johnson added 10 points for Kentucky (18-0, 5-0 SEC) and Willie Cauley- Stein had a game-high 10 rebounds. Riley LaChance shot 6-of-8 for 16 points and Fisher-Davis had 13 for Vanderbilt (11-7, 1-4), which has dropped its last four games after opening league play with a win over Auburn. Damian Jones gave 11 points, seven rebounds and three blocks. We did some good things and just didnt do quite enough, Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings said. There is really no consolation in doing some good things.. Kerry Hyder Jersey. Kentucky appeared on its way to a rout after scoring the games first seven points and forcing turnovers on Vandys first three touches. But LaChance hit from deep at 16:29, and the Commodores came to life. Four straight points by James Siakam on a dunk and two free throws had Vanderbilt within a point near the halfway mark of the first half. Kentucky then began to distance itself with seven in a row, but Jones scored on three straight possessions to keep the visitors within range. The Wildcats nearly put the game away halfway through the second half, when a pair of Tyler Ulis free throws gave them their biggest lead at 45-33. But Fisher-Davis hit a trey and LaChance got a transition layup to force a timeout. LaChance hit two more 3s over the next few minutes, and Fisher-Davis connected from deep at 5:06 to pull Vanderbilt within three. Game Notes This is the second time under John Calipari that Kentucky has started 18-0. Calipari has done it four times in his coaching career ... Vanderbilt fell to 1-4 in true road games this season ... All 10 Wildcats that played score at least three points. Only two reached double figures. Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
Share: