Josh Johnson is accustomed to moving | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
chenyan94
chenyan94 Aug 11 '19

around the NFL. On Wednesday Troy Apke Jersey , he moved from one league to another.Johnson was the first player protected last week in a quarterbacks-only draft held by the Alliance of American Football, which will begin play the weekend after the Super Bowl in February. His rights in the eight-team spring league were owned by the San Diego Fleet.But when the Washington Redskins needed a backup for a third-stringer — with top quarterbacks Alex Smith and Colt McCoy out with broken legs, Mark Sanchez is now the starter — they turned to Johnson. The Alliance has an “NFL out” in its contract, league founder and Pro Football Hall of Famer Bill Polian explains. So Johnson was allowed to terminate his deal with the Fleet and head to D.C.“He is a good player clearly, and he deserved to be taken where he was in our draft,” Polian said Wednesday, “and we’re glad he has an opportunity with the Redskins. If he is able to come back with us, that would be great. And if he stays with the Redskins, that is what we are here for.”Johnson, 32, has been active for four NFL teams since being selected in the fifth round of the 2008 draft by Tampa Bay. He’s also spent time in several other camps, but has not thrown a pass in an NFL game since 2011. He started five games for the Bucs and lost them all.“I’ve been with Josh,” Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. “He was with me at Cincinnati. He was with me at Tampa. And he knows the terminology. So when I say ‘Dusty,’ he knows exactly what it is. ‘Quick seam,’ he knows what it is. So he can function that way, with the cadence, with the terminology.“When you have three or four days to prepare for a team and get a quarterback ready, you got to have somebody with some familiarity. I felt most comfortable with Josh because he knows our protection calls. He remembers a lot of our terminology. He can move around a little bit. But mainly, for the sake of communication we had to have somebody that had a little bit of background in our system.”Johnson was brought in by a few teams this year for workouts when they had quarterback injuries, but figured his next on-field performances would be in the Alliance. Given Washington’s bad luck at the position this year, however, there’s a chance he could be playing against the Giants on Sunday.“I’m grateful to The Alliance for giving me the opportunity to continue my pro career,” Johnson said. “I know I can play this game at a high level and having coach (Mike) Martz Zach Brown Jersey , who won a Super Bowl, select me to lead the San Diego Fleet was further validation for me. What I loved about The Alliance was their commitment to players. They made it clear from the jump if an opportunity presented itself to continue my dream of playing in the NFL, they would fully support me. That’s what happened here with the Redskins, and I’m ready to go if and when my name is called.”Fifteen players who had signed with the Alliance are currently under contract in the NFL. All would be welcomed back to the new league should they not stick in the NFL.“If he wishes to play in the spring, we would certainly welcome him back with open arms,” Polian said of Johnson, but he could be referring to any of those players. “I hope that is the case.” Hogs Haven takes a look at 2019 NFL Draft prospects who could contribute to the Redskins"WhiteFanposts Fanshots Sections Looks Like Someone Has A Sixpack Of The MondaysDaily SlopRedskins RecapsEDTShareTweetShareShareUgo Amadi Has Versatility But What Is His True Position?Stan Szeto-USA TODAY SportsUgo Amadi, CB/SSchool: Oregon | Conference: PAC-12College Experience: Senior | Age: 21Height / Weight: 5-9 / 199 lbsProjected Draft Status: 5th or 6th RoundNFL Comparison: Will ParksCollege StatisticsPlayer OverviewUgochukwu Amadi was a 4-star prospect from Nashville, Tennessee who couldn’t quite make up his mind in the recruiting process. He originally committed to Ole Miss but had second thoughts. Then he committed to LSU and had some more second thoughts. Finally, he committed to Oregon and in turn committed to playing a couple thousand miles from home. He was impressed with where he thought the program was going specifically with Oregon’s berth into the first college playoff game and win in the Rose Bowl in 2014. After the departure of Marcus Mariota to the NFL the Ducks never were quite the program they were before Amadi arrived on campus but he had a solid career in Eugene as a corner, safety, and most recently a return man. Scouts reportedly love his character and leadership ability on and off the field. He had a somewhat disappointing showing with athletic testing at the Combine but did improve his vertical by two inches during his Pro Day. Amadi should be an interesting option for teams looking for a secondary player who can play deep but also come up and play some nickel as well. His value as a return should also check a box as well. StrengthsGood speed, length, and strength for the position. Amadi has the athleticism to stick with TEs over the middle, WRs on the boundary, and RBs coming out of the backfield. Highly competitive and passionate player. He’s been praised for his work ethic, leadership habits, and character.Has some position flexibility and versatility. Can cover as a nickel back or play deep as a safety. Not horrible coming up to play the run either. He’s very strong for his size and has some power behind his hits.Looks smooth his his movements in coverage and has the flexibility to turn and mirror as well as get some good depth. Keeps plays in front of him and works downhill. Takes good pursuit angles. Showed good ball skills and can finish by scoring.Added value as a returner.WeaknessesWith his size and inconsistent athletic traits its going to be hard to find a solid position for him outside of his work on special teams. Despite his strength he simply isn’t big enough to challenge bigger TEs and WRs in coverage and win.Gives up too much space in coverage. Relies on his ability to recover but it doesn’t always work out.Short area agility and quickness are lacking from the slot. Not sure if he can survive at CB 100% of the time when covering laterally where he’ll need that skill.Need to work on his tackling technique wise.Let’s see his work:More Ugo Amadi videosHow Would He Fit On The Redskins?Amadi reminds me a lot of Deshazor Everett. I think he sticks on the roster because of the positives they share. Passion, leadership, toughness, position versatility etc. Unfortunately for Amadi his fit in the NFL is even a bit more up in the than Everett’s was because he’s lacking in height for the position. His athleticism and current cover skills might leave him exposed by certain slot players and his lack of recovery speed might leave him exposed as a deep safety. He can’t do anything about his height but he’s still going to have to work overtime to make sure he stands out on special teams as a returner or on the coverage team. While I like the versatility and depth he would bring to the Redskins I just don’t know how this team would use him outside of a special teams application. I think if he’s still around late on day 3 he’s certainly worth rolling the dice on but he might fit better in other defenses.

Share: