Premier League win. Watc Premier League win. Watc | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
123 Aug 11 '19
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N. Custom Dallas Stars Jerseys . Y. -- Promotions and track giveaways are nice, but if Thoroughbred racing really wants to create new fans, all it has to do -- ALL it has to do -- is offer a quick backstory to those who didnt already know it on the two main protagonists in Saturdays Grade 2 San Diego Handicap at Del Mar. Cue up the race replay above, and press play.Really. You can search far and wide for better advertisements for Thoroughbred racing, and you can glom on to any celebrity of your choosing; none will work as well as this race, which was the best and purest display of what is great in this great game.The San Diego was racing at its best for a combination of reasons. Certainly, the quality of the two main players had tons do with it. California Chrome was our Horse of the Year in 2014, and if he isnt the best horse in the world off his powerful victory in the Dubai World Cup last March, he is among them. And Dortmund has always made a compelling case that he could be much, much more than an immensely promising colt if he could just get a little bit of health on his side.There is no question that a big reason why the San Diego was so tremendous is that California Chrome and Dortmund went at each other right from the start, engaging in a virtual match race right down to the wire. In fact, the half-length margin California Chrome had on Dortmund at the finish suggests there isnt a great deal between these two fine performers. Dortmund was coming off a longer layoff than California Chrome, but both were coming off layoffs, and California Chrome had the Dubai journey to overcome, too.Bottom line: This race left us drooling for more.Speaking of wanting more, California Chrome and Dortmund are scheduled to meet again in Del Mars Grade 1 Pacific Classic on Aug. 20, and already the handicapper in me is contemplating how these two will react after their efforts Saturday. The San Diego was (obviously) a very strongly run race; it had to be demanding to at least some extent on both horses, and there is only a four-week turnaround to the Pacific Classic.I dont like the term bounce. I much prefer form regression. But no matter what you call it, I really dislike how it has become used as almost a blanket excuse for a poor performance. In any case, my sense is top horses such as California Chrome and Dortmund are less susceptible to form regression than lesser horses; its one of the many things that make them top horses. So while Im not banking on either taking a major step back form-wise next time, my instincts tell me that California Chrome is a little better equipped than Dortmund to take a step forward next month.We will see. The fun will be in the finding out.Quick notes* Trainer Chad Brown won the first two turf stakes of the Saratoga meet -- shocking, I know -- but with no slight intended to his overachieving Ancient Secret, winner of Fridays Grade 2 Lake George for 3-year-old fillies, Dacitas just-up decision in Saturdays Grade 1 Diana was certainly the most important of these two scores.Dacita has been strangely underappreciated. Perhaps this is because she went into a bit of a slump after she nailed none other than champion Tepin in the Grade 2 Ballston Spa Stakes here at Saratoga last summer in her U. S. debut, or maybe it is because she was a fortunate winner of the Grade 2 New York Stakes in June at the expense of runner-up Sea Calisi, who was brutally unlucky to lose after a bad trip.And truth be told, Dacita might not win too many additional fans after the Diana. Even though she made a successful charge from last, she did so into an early pace that was much too fast, and very favorable to her deep closing style, and she only prevailed in a blanket finish.But that would be a shame, because Dacita is really good when she is on her game. She is, after all, the last horse to have beaten Tepin, who has won seven straight races since, on two continents.As for Miss Temple City, she finished an okay fourth in the Diana, her first start since a very creditable fourth in a Group 2 stakes at Royal Ascot, a trip she earned off a strong win over a good group of males in the Grade 1 Makers 46 Mile.Miss Temple City did encounter a bit of traffic late on the far turn and in upper stretch, but she secured a clear path with ample time left in the race, and was, in the end, outkicked. And that fuels my suspicion that Miss Temple City is really at her best as a miler, and is, in fact, quite a good one. The bad news for her is that is the same sphere Tepin operates in.* I wish I could be bullish on the winners of the two 2-year-old stakes on the first two cards at Saratoga, but both races left me a little flat.Bitumen proved best as the favorite in Saturdays Grade 3 Sanford, but did so against only four opponents, and after getting a great setup with three of those four opponents engaging in a pace battle. The thing is, the Sanford pace really wasnt all that hot - 22.61 and 45.79 - and I was troubled with the way Bitumen was still unable to keep up early despite urging from Javier Castellano. I mean, what will he do when hes faced with a pace set or disputed by higher quality opponents? Still, Bitumen is now 2 for 2, and he still has plenty of license to improve.As for Sweet Loretta, winner of Fridays Grade 3 Schuylerville, she also employed a wide sweep from off the pace. However, that approach was absolutely the way to go on an opening-day Saratoga main track that carried a profound dead rail bias. Sweet Loretta will have to face tougher company than what she ran away from in the Schuylerville when she moves on, and she will do so presumably without the track so heavily tilted in her favor. Lets see how she does then.* I was a big fan last year of Sentiero Italia. I thought she would make the jump from being a successful 3-year-old filly graded-stakes performer on turf to being an effective older female graded-stakes grass horse, which is a leap bigger than many realize. Im still a fan. But I do think Sentiero Italias allowance win at Saratoga Friday in her 2016 bow was more workmanlike than eye-catching, and while she has a right to, she must take a real step forward next time to contend with better. Brian Bellows Stars Jersey . According to a report from the Vancouver Province, the Lions are expected to replace former DC Rich Stubler with defensive backs coach Mark Washington. Gump Worsley Stars Jersey . Ashley Youngs cross was inadvertently headed by Chester into his own net in the 66th minute, allowing United to claim a third straight league win. "We had to dig deep with our fighting spirit and weve done that," United striker Wayne Rooney said. http://www.thedallasstarshockey.com/mike-gartner-hockey-jersey/ . The next step is a better finish. Bae played bogey-free Friday on another gorgeous day at Riviera for a 5-under 66, giving him a one-shot lead over Aaron Baddeley and Robert Garrigus going into the weekend.Chelsea are hoping to have Diego Costa available for their clash at Middlesbrough on Super Sunday after he was forced to pull out of the Spain squad during the international break. The striker was sent home early by Spain coach Julen Lopetegui after aggravating a groin injury he picked up during Chelseas 5-0 thrashing of Everton before the international break. Mboro vs Chelsea November 20, 2016, 3:30pm Live on Get Sky Sports Get a Sky Sports pass It caused him to miss Spains friendly with England, and its a potential headache for manager Antonio Conte, who has steered the Blues from eighth place to second in the Premier League table with a run of five consecutive victories. Costa has been a key figure throughout the season, starting every one of Chelseas 11 Premier League games and topping the scoring charts with nine goals. Diego Costa celebrates with Gary Cahill after scoring against Everton Whats more, the stats show Chelsea have a far better Premier League record with Costa in the team than without him.In the 65 games he has started since joining Chelsea in 2014, the Blues have a win rate of 56.9 per cent compared to 40.9 per cent in 22 games when he has not featured. Chelsea with and without Diego Costa (Premier League games since 2014/15) With Costa Stat Without Costa 65 Games 22 37 Wins 9 13 Draws 11 15 Losses 2 129 Goals scored 29 2. Martin Hanzal Stars Jersey. 0 Average goals scored 1.3 77 Goals conceded 17 1.2 Average goals against 0.8 56.9% Win percentage 40.9% They also score more freely with Costa in the team, averaging two goals per game compared to just 1.3 per game without him.Costas absence would open the door to summer signing Michy Batshuayi. The Belgium international has been limited to eight substitute appearances in the Premier League, scoring his only goal in a 2-1 win over Watford back in August. Whats changed for Hazard? Whats behind Eden Hazards prolific form? The stats make interesting reading. Batshuayi would be eager to add to his tally against Middlesbrough, but the former Marseille striker is still finding his feet in the Premier League and the stats show why Costa is the main man.Chelsea will be hoping he is fit and firing on Super Sunday. History suggests his return would increase their chances of notching up a sixth consecutive Premier League win. Watch the preview of Sundays Premier League clash as Chelsea head to the Riverside Stadium to take on Middlesbrough Watch Middlesbrough v Chelsea live on Sky Sports 1 HD from 3.30pm on Sunday. Also See: Whats changed for Hazard? Chelsea will only get stronger ' ' ' 
Share: