NCAA.He asked for permission to talk to everryone and we granted everyone, | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
LHX1990
LHX1990 Jul 17 '19
LEXINGTON, Ky. Brandon Dubinsky Blue Jackets Jersey . -- Breaking out as an offensive contributor has spurred Kentucky forward Derek Willis to want to have the same impact on the defensive end.Lost in the shuffle for two years behind a parade of future NBA draft picks, the 6-foot-9 Willis earned his way into Kentuckys rotation as a junior and finally showed the talent that coach John Calipari had insisted was always there.Willis is a projected starter as the second-ranked Wildcats open Friday night against Stephen F. Austin with another roster of young talent. The confidence in his shooting during the preseason -- along with a willingness to fight for rebounds -- figures to make him a part of Caliparis developing rotations.I feel like I really know my role, and there are things I still need to work on, said Willis, who averaged career bests of 7.7 points, 4.0 rebounds and 18.6 minutes with 11 starts last season. Once I figure this out, Ill help this team out even more than I have.Willis seems self-assured enough to turn heads in practice with intense play and even offer a suggestion to Calipari.Calipari recalled a moment when Willis reminded him of something he wasnt doing in the zone offense, a point the coach acknowledged before changing the play and thanking him.Last year, he would never have done that, Calipari said. That just shows you hes maturing, that hes able to trust enough that he can give a suggestion and know its not going to be thrown (back) at me.Having established himself as a perimeter threat -- he ranked third on the team with 53 3-pointers on 44 percent shooting -- the Mt. Washington, Kentucky, native appears comfortable inside. Hes going harder at the rim on both ends and contesting shots more along with diving for loose balls.Hes coming in and just fighting for everything, 6-10 redshirt freshman forward Tai Wynyard said.Willis growing confidence has been most evident in the way he has challenged defenders and shooters and given them a hard look after a physical play.Thats how Ive needed to play, Willis said, referring to a summer of studying video of his play. I can stretch the court, but rebounding and just playing defense and making sure my guy doesnt score more than me is important.Willis focus on defense is important as Calipari teaches the finer points of that aspect to on frontcourt newcomers Bam Adebayo and Sacha Killeya-Jones -- both 6-10- and 6-9 Wenyen Gabriel. After lacking a physical post game last season , Calipari has made that a point this season and is depending on veterans such as Willis to set the tone.Wynyard praised the seniors mental preparation, which might be even more critical with a season-opening stretch of three games in five days, including Tuesdays matchup against No. 12 Michigan State in New York City. As Kentuckys freshmen learn to play together and prepare for the first of many marquee non-conference games, they will look to Willis, fellow senior Dominique Hawkins and sophomore guard Isaiah Briscoe for guidance.All have embraced the responsibility with Willis in particular pulling teammates together for huddles. He sees that as a natural role for a veteran, especially since he has personal examples to draw from.Even last year, I could see that role developing for me, Willis said. So now, wherever Im needed, Im talking.---More AP college basketball: www.collegebasketball.ap.org Scott Harrington Blue Jackets Jersey .com) - The Chicago Blackhawks aim for their third three-game winning streak of the season when they host the struggling Edmonton Oilers in Sundays battle at the United Center. Zach Werenski Jersey .Gather a group of friends, or find a league to join online, draft your team, set your lineup and compete in a number of different formats. http://www.bluejacketsshop.com/...blue-jackets-jersey/ . In what the team had called a retirement, Ryan said Thursday that he is resigning as chief executive of the Rangers in a move effective at the end of this month.USC backup quarterback Max Browne, a redshirt junior who has graduated and is enrolled in a masters program, is leaving the school.Browne will not be with the Trojans (9-3) for their bowl game.Four years ago, when I signed to come play at USC, I never thought this day would come, Browne wrote in an Instagram post. But the time has come for me to find a new home. ... I walk away from USC falling short of many of my goals, but I also walk away with a full heart, lifelong relationships, and memories that will last a lifetime.USC signed a permission-to-contact form for Browne last month, which allowed him to seek a transfer anywhere in the NCAA.He asked for permission to talk to everryone and we granted everyone, USC coach Clay Helton said in November. Josh Anderson Jersey. I think thats the only respectful thing for him. You want the best opportunity for yourself and you dont know where that would be.Out of respect for the type of guy he is and how hes handled things around here, I personally think he deserves it.Browne was benched after starting the first three games of the season in favor of redshirt freshman Sam Darnold. At the time of the switch, Browne all but confirmed he would transfer.ESPNs Kyle Bonagura contributed to this report ' ' '
Share: