endar Grand Slam since Steffi Graf in 1988, as she lost to Roberta Vinci in the US Open semi-finals.At 34, Williams has won it all. Her u | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
123 Jun 19 '19
This is the second installment of a preseason series in which ESPN fantasy experts debate a pair of players who have similar fantasy values and/or average draft positions. Michal Neuvirth Jersey . The first edition compared LeBron James and Giannis Antetokounmpo. This time, Greg Rosenstein and Tom Carpenter debate DeMarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis -- a pair of big men with top-five upside, great nicknames and tons of risk -- whose current average draft positions are ninth and 10th, respectively.Rosenstein on why Cousins should go ahead of DavisAnthony Davis, without a doubt, is one of the most exciting young players in the NBA today. I mean, how many guys at 6-foot-10 have comparable athleticism, length and ballhandling ability? In many ways hes the exact opposite of Sacramento center DeMarcus Cousins; one boasts a charismatic personality whos so smooth it appears he glides up and down the court. The other has come under consistent criticism for his off-the court antics and has a physical, bruising style around the rim.Sexy versus ugly. And Im taking ugly.Similar to last weeks debate on LeBron vs. the Greek Freak, I prefer knowing what Im going to get rather than hoping that player takes the next step. James is as consistent as they come, and Cousins is fairly similar in that regard.The Sacramento star has averaged 20.2 points, 10.8 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.2 blocks per game through his six-season career, but what I like most is hes clearly trending up. As he assumes more of a leadership role in the Kings offense, his overall production has improved. Take last season as an example, as he posted career bests in points (26.9), steals (1.6), field goals made (9.2) and free throws made (7.3) a night. Many of his other statistics remained in elite range.His overall production is, in fact, remarkably similar to Davis. The following categories showed them with nearly identical numbers per 36 minutes on the court: average points, average steals, field goal percentage, free throw percentage and 3-point percentage. But while you may scoff at that final statistic, keep this in mind: Cousins made 70 long-distance shots last season after attempting just 69 in his career prior to that. Its an added aspect to his already versatile offensive arsenal. He also gets to the line more -- 8.2 attempts per 36 minutes compared to 6.3 for Davis -- and has shown a better ability to find teammates for scores. His 3.1 assists per 36 minutes is nearly double that of The Brow.Another major factor is the differences in offense. The Kings went through Cousins so often last season that he ranked No. 2 overall in usage rate (33.2) behind Russell Westbrook. Davis was 23rd. Sacramento also finished as No. 1 overall in pace, which means there should be a greater amount of possessions for Cousins to put up huge stats each night. The Pelicans, in contrast, were 11th. Even without Rajon Rondo at the point, I dont see a major difference in Darren Collison, and have no reason to believe the Kings wont finish at or near the top again.Lastly -- and this is the biggest reason why Id side with Cousins over Davis -- is health. If I owned the Pelicans big man on a fantasy team, I would need to check on his status every night to make sure he wasnt hurt. In four seasons, hes already missed 68 games to a variety of injuries. Even this preseason, he had an ankle sprain. Cousins has had injuries in his career, but nothing close to as frequent as this.In fantasy basketball, you need your stars to be there when it matters most. Not on the bench in a suit.Carpenter on why Davis should go ahead of CousinsBoogie versus The Unibrow! Sounds more like this debate belongs in ESPNs WWE section.Lets face facts here: Aside from maybe Hassan Whiteside, there arent two players in fantasy hoops who have such a high risk/reward ratio. Each surely would land in the top five if he is able to play 82 games, but Davis hasnt topped 68 games during his four-season career and Cousins has topped 71 games just once since his rookie campaign.With that much volatility, its no wonder they have fallen to the bottom of the first round.Still, if I were to pick one, it would be Davis, and Ill point to four reasons:1. MaturityDavis is 23. Cousins is 26. Unfortunately, age doesnt always equate to maturity.Cousins has a short fuse, which led to a one-game suspension last season for racking up too many technicals, but thats not the real issue. When it comes to converting talent into maximum fantasy stats, a player needs to be fully dedicated to his craft, something we have rarely seen from Boogie during his six-season career.Although Davis has not been able to stay healthy, he has generally showed quality focus on the court.2. PercentagesCousins lack of on-court focus has been reflected in a fading field goal percentage (49.6 FG?percentage , 46.7 FG?percentage , 45.1 FG percentage?the past three seasons) and inconsistency at the stripe (72.6 FT?percentage , 78.2 FT?percentage , 71.8 FT percentage?in that same stretch).Thats not something you can simply gloss over, either, considering he took 20.5 field goal attempts and 10.2 free throw attempts per game last season.We saw Davis percentages slip last season (49.3 FG?percentage ; first season under 51.6 FG percentage-- 75.8 FT?percentage ; first season under 79.1 FT percentage?since rookie campaign), but Im willing to blame that on a nagging knee issue which required surgery, from which he has since recovered.3. BlocksWe also saw the Brows block production fade, as his 2.0 BPG marks the first time since his rookie run that he failed to average at least 2.8 BPG. But Boogies career-high mark is 1.7 BPG.Big-time shot-blockers are a scarce commodity - even more so when it comes to those who score and shoot well from the stripe.If Davis worst production in blocks is better than Cousins best, thats a notable edge in a key category.4. StabilityNeither the Pelicans nor Kings have done a good job of putting together a well-rounded roster, but Cousins is on his sixth head coach, the Kings lack player leadership on the court and in the locker room, and from ownership to the front office, its been an absolute circus in recent years.To me, an immature mercurial player like Cousins without leadership and direction is just a mess waiting to happen. Maybe new coach Dave Joerger can find the magic touch, but I remain skeptical.Instead, give me the Brow and his more enticing all-around stats. I prefer crossing my fingers in the hope that he can stay on the court for 70-75 games, because the only thing I see stopping him from a top-five finish is his health -- and thats an issue that also continues to plague Boogie. Sean Couturier Jersey . -- Jimmy Walkers first PGA Tour trophy came with a special gift tucked inside. Barry Ashbee Jersey . They were putting most of their energy into a record-setting offensive display. http://www.cheapflyersjerseyschina.com/dale-weise-jersey/ . The 43-year-old closer, in his 19th and final big league season, has said hed like to play the outfield. Yankees manager Joe Girardi says hes thinking about allowing Rivera to do it this weekend, when the Yankees finish their season with a three-game series at the Houston Astros. Serena WilliamsDate of birth1981-09-26BirthplaceSaginawHeight175 cmWeight70.0 kgGrand Slam titles21 (singles), 13 (doubles), 2 (mixed doubles) - up to 25/05/2016WTA tournament titles70 (singles), 22 (doubles) - up to 25/05/2016Best year-end WTA world ranking1st (2002, 2009, 2014, 2015)Olympic Games (4 medals: 4 gold)Singles: 1st (2012)Doubles: 1st (2000, 2008 and 2012/with Venus Williams)Grand Slam tournaments (singles)6 Australian Open titles (2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2015), 1 final (2016)3 French Open titles (2002, 2013, 2015), 1 semi-final (2003)6 Wimbledon titles (2002, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2015), 2 finals (2004, 2008), 1 semi-final (2000)6 US Open titles (1999, 2002, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014), 2 finals (2001, 2011), 2 semi-finals (2009, 2015)Grand Slam tournaments (doubles)4 Australian Open titles (2001, 2003, 2009, 2010/with Venus Williams)2 French Open titles (1999, 2010/with Venus Williams)5 Wimbledon titles (2000, 2002, 2008, 2009, 2012/with Venus Williams)2 US Open titles (1999, 2009/with Venus Williams)Grand Slam tournaments (mixed doubles)1 WWimbledon title (1998/with Max Mirnyi)1 US Open title (1998/with Max Mirnyi)Other victories5 WTA Tour Championships titles (2001, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014), 2 semi-finals (2002, 2004)1 Fed Cup title (1999)Gunning for another double in RioWorld number 1 Serena Williams travels to Rio this summer ready to defend her Olympic titles in the womens singles (2012) and doubles, with her sister Venus (2000, 2008, 2012). Wholesale Flyers Jerseys. The American enjoyed a magnificent 2015, completing a Serena Slam with victories at the Australian Open, the French Open and Wimbledon. She narrowly missed out on a first calendar Grand Slam since Steffi Graf in 1988, as she lost to Roberta Vinci in the US Open semi-finals.At 34, Williams has won it all. Her unquenchable thirst for victory makes her the favourite again in Rio, even after a surprise defeat to Angelique Kerber in the 2016 Australian Open final. A 21-time Grand Slam winner should never be taken lightly! ' ' ' 
Share: