h a little of the sting taken out of it. You have to use p | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
love520
love520 Mar 19 '19
LONDON -- Theres a reason Roger Federer has won seven Wimbledon titles and, after a rousing and monumental comeback, finds himself in position to win an unprecedented eighth. Yeezy Wholesale Authentic .Federer has the fluent, fluid game, the cast-iron temperament and still, at the age of nearly 35, the capacity for surprise.Down two sets to No. 9 seed Marin Cilic, Federer looked cooked in their Wednesday quarterfinal. He had to save three straight break points at a critical juncture of the third set and three do-or-die match points in the fourth.And in the end, the No. 3-seeded Federer prevailed 6-7 (4), 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (9), 6-3 in one of the great victories of his career -- which is saying something.I was in so much trouble in the third, and again in the fourth, a still-breathless Federer said in his off-the-court BBC interview. It was great fun. Obviously, for me, the dream continues.I played great at the end. Very, very pleased.It was appropriate that this 3-hour, 18-minute epic was Federers 307th Grand Slam singles match win, breaking a tie with Martina Navratilova for the all-time record.Seven-time Grand Slam champion John McEnroe, who called the match for ESPN, was out of breath afterward, too.That was amazing, McEnroe said. He had no business winning that match. Cilic was on the brink of victory.That goes down as one of the best [matches] Ive seen. This is the greatest of the great, to hang around long enough to come back from that position.It was the 10th career comeback for Federer after trailing two sets to love and only the third time he has been forced to save match points in a major.Cilic, a streaky Croatian, is now a dubious 1-21 in matches against players ranked among the top three.That one win, however, was against Federer. After going 0-for-5 in his career against Federer, Cilic stunned the Swiss champion with a virtually flawless, straight-sets performance in the semifinals of the 2014 US Open. It was the springboard to his only Grand Slam title.On Wednesday, in another major meeting, it nearly happened again in the civilized space of Centre Court. Actor Stanley Tucci and soccer star David Beckham, along with other pro-Federer patrons, probably couldnt believe what they were seeing in the early going.Federer has always been a player with a marvelous feel for finesse. But there have been occasions when power players -- most notably, Rafael Nadal, Juan Martin del Potro and Cilic -- have overwhelmed him near or at the end of Grand Slam events.For two sets, anyway, thats how it went.But after Federer wriggled out with the third set and lived dangerously when he served at 4-5 and 5-6, facing match points in the fourth, the two players went to a tiebreaker.It was brilliant stuff, with Federer saving another match point and Cilic saving four set points before succumbing after two errant forehands.Afterward, Federer called the tiebreaker crazy.The fifth set? It came down to an anticlimactic break of Cilics serve in the eighth game on a wide forehand.Federer actually hit more aces than Cilic (27 to 23) and saved seven of eight break points. In a match of highest quality, Cilic saved seven of nine break points.With a single flourish, Federer equaled Jimmy Connors record of 11 Wimbledon semifinals and his total of 84 match wins.Federer, for the record, is the oldest man to reach the semis here since Ken Rosewall (39) did it 42 years ago.Thus, the 17-time Grand Slam champion took advantage of an extremely Federer-friendly draw on his favorite court at his favorite venue.Federers last Grand Slam title came here four years ago. Its astonishing to think that he has a decent look at an 18th major singles title if he can beat No. 6 seed Milos Raonic, a four-set winner over Sam Querrey, in Fridays semifinals.On two occasions -- the 2009 French Open and Wimbledon in 2012 -- Federer has gone on to win a Grand Slam after trailing 0-2 in a match. Could this be the third?When Federer missed this years French Open, it ended his record streak of 65 consecutive Grand Slam appearances. Knee surgery and back issues forced him to bypass Paris with the idea of resting and preparing for the grass-court season.Federer played reasonably well in Germany, at Stuttgart and Halle, and came to Wimbledon in a decent frame of mind. Still, he didnt know what kind of shape his body was in. Gradually, he worked his way into the tournament -- and now hes two wins from what would be a massively popular (and unexpected) victory.The last three sets were really good, Federer said. Its really encouraging to me that Im improving as the matches go on. My legs were there, my back was there; mentally this is going to give me a hell of a boost.Im ecstatic that I was able to come through somehow. Incredible match. Yeezy Australia Store . As he recorded his 23rd and 24th points of the evening, a segment of the sellout Air Canada Centre crowd expressed their appreciation for the Raptors point guard with a smattering of MVP chants. Yeezy Shoes Australia Release . He said Tuesday thats a big reason why he is now the new coach of the Tennessee Titans. Whisenhunt said he hit it off quickly with Ruston Webster when interviewing for the job Friday night. http://www.wholesaleyeezyaustralia.com/ . Ashley Youngs cross was inadvertently headed by Chester into his own net in the 66th minute, allowing United to claim a third straight league win. "We had to dig deep with our fighting spirit and weve done that," United striker Wayne Rooney said. DeLisha Milton-Jones is stubbornly optimistic, which is a pretty necessary quality for someone to be a professional athlete for two decades.Milton-Jones hoped for one more opportunity this year in the WNBA -- reached out to teams and stayed in shape -- ready to go if she got the call. She felt she could still be a positive veteran influence for young players. Her optimism extended all the way until mid-September as the regular season came to a close.It was like, OK, this is it, its over, said Milton-Jones, who officially announced her retirement recently at age 42. Its sad it had to end that way. Its hard to watch the playoffs, especially a team like Atlanta which was down a veteran post player.But I had to come to terms with it. I have to know theres a lesson in this for me. I have to move on to phase two of my life, take all the experiences Ive had, and use them for someone elses good.She will do that right away as an assistant coach for Ryan Weisenberg at Pepperdine. The Waves players likely cant even grasp just how much experience Milton-Jones has: how many games she has played, practices she has taken part in, countries she has competed in. The 1997 Wade Trophy winner for Florida, Milton-Jones started playing professionally before some of todays college freshmen were even born.Milton-Jones, who began in the ABL, appeared in more games than anyone in WNBA history, with 499 in the regular season -- averaging 11.2 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.2 steals -- and 50 playoff games, where her numbers were even a little better (11.5, 6.1, 1.5).She won two WNBA titles with Los Angeles. For USA Basketball, she won two Olympic gold medals, plus two golds and a bronze from the world championship. Her overseas career also was very decorated, as she played for teams in Russia, Italy, the Czech Republic, Spain, Turkey and Korea.As the WNBA gets set to start the playoff semifinals, Milton-Jones has an interesting perspective. For one, she was on the last Sparks team to make the WNBA Finals, in 2003. For another, her Los Angeles teams are the last to win back-to-back WNBA championships.Why has that, in particular, been so tough to do?Its very hard, because you have to do everything you did the year before, times two, she said. Whos really dedicated to go through that? To have the entire group committed to that journey, thats the first thing.But also players and other teams get better. And if you dont come back and prove as an individual that you can still add your piece to the puzzle, thats going to make it hard. The dynamic of a team changes from one year to the next, even if its a lot of the same players. Those are the rigors of the journey you have to make.Especially considering the league is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, it seemed like the right time for the Sparks to honor Milton-Jones this season, which was sure to be her last even if she had gotten a call to play. She spent 11 of her 17 WNBA seasons with the Sparks, playing 344 games in the regular season and 48 in the playoffs for Los Angeles.But a Sparks spokeswoman said that executive vice president/general manager Penny TToler wanted the organization focused on the current team and the playoffs and would not have a ceremony this year for Milton-Jones. Adidas Yeezy Shoes Australia. Seattle (Lauren Jackson), New York (Swin Cash), Phoenix (Penny Taylor) and Indiana (Tamika Catchings) all made the playoffs this season, yet still took time to honor their retiring players.It seems a shame the Sparks couldnt arrange even a halftime acknowledgement at Fridays playoff game at Staples Center to let fans express their appreciation to Milton-Jones, especially since she and husband, Roland Jones, live in Los Angeles.Milton-Jones admitted it was a disappointment that didnt happen. But she also knows its time to move on to the next chapter of her life, while also maintaining her love for the WNBA.Milton-Jones echoed the sentiments of other retiring players in regard to how important it is for former players to stay involved with the league in some capacity -- particularly in mentorship roles, passing on the history of the WNBA and womens basketball in general.I hope the current and future players take pride in this product and not take it for granted, she said. Take care of the league, because its special. A lot of people fought hard for it, not just for themselves but future generations.Milton-Jones hopes to add her name to the list of former WNBA players whove become successful college coaches. But she is also from the era long before social media and the ubiquity of cell phones and knows todays players grow up in a different world.Ive been in the situation where Ive been the oldest player in the locker room for many years, Milton-Jones said. I learned years ago the best way to relate to younger people is to relate on their level.Theyre not going to understand my mentality all the time, because they havent had the experiences Ive had. Look eye to eye with them, listen to what theyre saying, break down the barriers. I want them to see me as someone who understands them and can have a conversation with them.Milton-Jones said because young players in club basketball can go to whichever coach at that level makes them happiest, they sometimes have difficulty adjusting to the college atmosphere.I think kids are more sensitive to how theyre talked to, how you look at them, how you make them feel, said Milton-Jones, who adds that shed love to pick Geno Auriemmas brain on the topic. I think the old-school style is someone giving us that stern look and knowing, If I dont straighten up, my butts going to be on the line running.I think there has to be a balance with that old-school type of coaching and finding a way to do it with a little of the sting taken out of it. You have to use psychology more.So this is a new challenge for Milton-Jones, and one shes ready to tackle. Leaving her playing career was brutally hard; theres no sugarcoating that. But when she talks to youngsters about working hard and cherishing every minute on the court, theyll know it comes from someone who excelled a long, long time at both. ' ' ' 
Share: