week to deciweek to deci | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
123 Feb 24 '19
TROON, Scotland -- Jason Day is more motivated by failure than success, which helps explain how he reached No. Discount Nike Shoes Website . 1 in the world.And it all started last year at the British Open.Day had never felt so calm in the midst of such raging emotion that being in contention at a major can bring. He had an innate sense that it would all work out in his favor, right up until the moment that it didnt.He had a 30-foot birdie putt on the 18th hole at St. Andrews to get into a playoff. It was right on line. And he left it short.But it was that moment he realized he was good enough to win majors, and that he would win them if he had more chances. Three weeks later, he won the PGA Championship with such a dominant display of power that he became the first player to finish at 20-under par in a major.Six weeks later, he reached No. 1 for the first time.It was kind of, I guess, the start of my run where everything kind of changed my world, Day said.The 28-year-old Aussie arrived at Royal Troon on the weekend and headed out to a links course he had never seen, playing in a wind he might not see the rest of the week.The intrigue of Troon is that the shorter nine going out typically is with the wind, while the stronger, longer holes coming back are into the wind. It was the other way around over the weekend, and it began to shift on Monday on the first official day of practice with 25 mph (40 kph) gusts straight off the Irish Sea.In the last five days, the forecast has changed dramatically, defending champion Zach Johnson said. And my guess is, it could change again.The forecast for Day has a little more clarity.He has finished out of the top 10 only twice in his nine tournaments dating to March. What he brings to the Ayrshire coast of Scotland is more motivation -- his last golfing memory was more failure.Day appeared to be firmly in control at the World Golf Championship in Ohio two weeks ago until he three-putted for bogey on the 15th hole, made a mess of the par-5 16th hole on his way to a double bogey, and wound up three shots behind U.S. Open champion Dustin Johnson.I learn more when I fail than when I win, Days. Were not going to win every single one. Even though I dont like losing, it was great to be able to learn something from that and turn this into what I would say a learning experience. ... It was really bad. It was a terrible way to lose, and it was frustrating and disappointing. But things like this, you cant win them all.He said the Tiger Woods era spoiled golf fans into believing everyone should win tournaments when given a chance, and no one was better at that than Woods. Seventy times around the world, Woods had at least a share of the 54-hole lead. He won 60 of them.Thats what Im shooting for, to be able to finish off like he did back in the day, he said. Will I ever get to a point like that? Maybe not. But thats what Im shooting for right now.As a kid, Day said the two biggest tournaments were the Masters and the British Open. Australians have a long history with the claret jug, dating to Peter Thomson winning five times and Greg Norman winning twice. Day was only a year old when Norman closed with a 64 at Royal Troon, only to hit his drive on the final hole of the playoff so far that it went into a pot bunker and ended his chances.Norman still has his name on the jug twice. Woods, whom Day seeks out for advice in golf, is on there three times.Coming so close last year was definitely a motivational factor in that I would love to one day hold the claret jug and be able to put my name down in history with the best that have ever lived and played the game, he said.The jug for the last year belonged to Johnson, who poured wine from it one last time on Sunday night at a house he is sharing with players. Johnsons first duty Monday morning was to give it back to R&A chief Martin Slumbers outside the clubhouse at Royal Troon.It was bittersweet, Johnson said. More sweet, but the fact that youve got to give it back, you know its coming. I guess a portion of that sweetness is you still have an opportunity to get it back. Nike Shoes Clearance Sale . -- Matt Kuchar and Harris English ran away with the Franklin Templeton Shootout, shooting a 14-under 58 on Sunday in the final-round scramble to break the tournament course record. Discount Nike Shoes Online http://www.discountshoesnike.com/ . Q: Team Canada announces their Olympic roster three weeks from today. Who is general manager Steve Yzerman watching? LeBrun: Over the last 48 hours, hes taken in the home-and-home between the Dallas Stars and Colorado Avalanche with Jamie Benn and Matt Duchene being the obvious targets. Supercars young gun Chaz Mostert hopes a Bathurst 1000 appeal controversy leads to more simplified racing rules, saying a lack of clarification had made drivers hold back.Holden star Jamie Whincups unsuccessful appeal against a penalty that cost him a fifth Great Race win may have rubbed a lot of drivers the wrong way.But Fords Mostert believed the unpopular protest may finally help clear the air on what many drivers believed was the confusing issue of redressing.The issue was the key to Whincups appeal against a 15 second time penalty for careless driving after making contact with Volvos Scott McLaughlin late in October 9s Great Race.Whincup had hoped to prove at the Supercars National Court of Appeal in Melbourne on Tuesday night that he had redressed or fallen back behind McLaughlin in order to avoid a penalty after making contact with the Volvo driver while attempting to pass on lap 150.It took just 50 minutes for the Supercars National Court of Appeal to dismiss Whincups appeal.Still, Mostert believed the controversial ccourt hearing could help clear up redressing by this weekends next Supercars round, the Gold Coast 600. Cheap Nike Shoes China Free Shipping. It would be good to see what comes out of the appeal - the drivers need to understand redressing a bit more, Mostert said.When can you redress and avoid a penalty?What constitutes a 15 second penalty? The rules arent that clear on it.Its just a bit foggy, hard to understand.Mostert claimed the redressing issue had made drivers tentative on the track this year.It makes us feel like we cant race and make mistakes - its a bit disconcerting, he said.Sometimes the rules hold us back.Its bad it happened in our biggest race of the year but its probably good that it happened if it can help clarify the rules.Hopefully we can get some clarification before the Gold Coast event.Whincups Red Bull Racing team have a week to decide whether to take their case to the FIA International Court of Appeal. ' ' 'an and try and make as many birdies as I can, and tomorrow will be no different.If its good enough at the end of the day to get a medal, so be it. I couldnt think of [anything] better than putting something around my neck. Hopefully that comes off, but I wont leave anything on the table. Ill give it everything. ' ' '
Share: