would it be if it happened again? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
miaowang123
miaowang123 Oct 12 '17
The most challenging days in the world of sports are those where cold, hard reality intrudes on the fantasy world of games and play. Aaron Rodgers Jersey . And so it was last Apr. 15 when, while preparing to host the Monday edition of TSN Drive, the mood of that day suddenly turned dark. The Boston Marathon had been bombed. A great number of people had been injured and some had been killed. No one knew whod done it, what their motive was or what else they might have in mind. North Americans arent blind to the possibilities of terrorism, certainly not since Sept. 11, 2001. But the notion of a being maimed or killed by attending a sporting event is about as remote to our sense vulnerability as can be. That sense may in fact be the very reason the perpetrators chose the marathon, an iconic event, a symbol of spring, and something attended by people from various walks of life which attracts an international field and audience. Bomb the Boston Marathon and the message is that anything can be a target, or so those behind it surely hoped. My co-host that day one year ago was Bruce Arthur, with whom I met 30 minutes before air time to discuss that days show. We instantly agreed it felt wrong to open the program talking sports. Instead wed talk about what was unfolding in Boston for the first 30 minutes, follow the breaking news and then reassess. When we got to the bottom of the clock in that first hour, neither of us had the stomach to talk sports. It just felt wrong. And so we stuck to the matters at hand in Boston, believing our listeners understood that sports could wait for at least a day. Everyone knows what happened next. Boston became city in lock-down, sports events were cancelled, a security guard was killed, and eventually two suspects were captured, one of them dead and the other severely wounded. And in the days that followed, the question of societal response began to emerge: How would North Americans react, understanding that this type of thing wasnt restricted to marathons and could happen at any sort of large public gathering?  And since the world of sports has more large public gatherings than any other business, how would it affect ballparks, arenas and stadiums? How would this change the experience of attending a sporting event? There was the predictable response from leagues, with enhanced security measures at most venues which, depending on your point of view, is either a good thing or the further erosion of the carefree lives we used to enjoy. But any sense that the Boston bombing had somehow altered the experience of attending a sporting event in North America, that people would reconsider gathering in public to cheer on their favourite teams? That proved to be a complete myth. No, the sports world is pretty much exactly as it was before the Boston bombing. And thats significant because the most meaningful thing about sports isnt who wins or who loses or who gets paid the most money. Its the manner in which spectator sports are about sharing common experiences with others, producing a sense of oneness that few other things can deliver. Sport in a vacuum is just an empty spectacle of athletic achievement. But surround it with people who have a common perspective and it takes on its own energy and meaning, becoming as much an expression of community and culture as anything else. Thats what we saw in Boston during the weeks and months that followed the bombing, with the Bruins and then the Red Sox as symbols of the citys communal spirit. Lets be clear: a professional sports team winning in the aftermath of a tragedy doesnt make anything better, doesnt heal the wounded or bring back the dead. What it does, however, is give people a way to express their resolve and creates a sense of normalcy in what can be very troubling times. The two men who bombed the marathon sought not just to cause death and destruction but also to affect way people live their lives. In less than a week, the 2014 Boston Marathon will take place with people from Massachusetts and around the world gathering to participate. Some will be running but many, many more will be lining the streets just to be present. Not because theyve forgotten what occurred one year ago, but because they remember it. Quinten Rollins Jersey . I kind of got a taste of being able to pick a suit with the draft lottery, I went with the bow tie. Martellus Bennett Jersey . "Thank you for the warm welcome," Beckham said on an 80-degree February morning. In this case, it was soccer weather. The sport moved a step closer to returning to South Florida on Wednesday, when Beckham confirmed he has exercised his option to purchase a Major League Soccer expansion franchise in Miami.Isa Guha will be part of the Sky Sports team for our coverage of the Womens World T20 - and she expects her old England team-mates to triumph. Find out why below... In 2009, Guha won the Womens World Cup with England in Australia and the Womens World T20 on home soil. She made over 100 one-day appearances for her country and was ranked No 1 bowler by the ICC. Isa Guha gives her predictions for the Womens World T20 tournament Winner: England Maybe a bit of bias involved, but I do think the England women have a good chance. The pace bowling has generally been consistent and there is enough experience to create a breakthrough if opposition teams go hard. I think the spinners will have to be smarter, especially if the boundaries are brought in, but I think the real key lies with our batting. We saw fearless batsmanship against South Africa with the women playing freely and Im hoping that they are able to transfer that to the World T20 especially during the knockout stages. The ability to cope under pressure will be huge. Watch England Women in action in the ICC Womens World T20. Coverage begins on Sky Sports on 15th March Most sixes: Lizelle Lee (South Africa)We saw some explosive hitting in the recent series v England. South Africa seem to have a few big hitters but I think Lee will have the most impact. Most wickets: Annya Shrubsole (England)Anya has been very successful in India and Bangladesh in the past, mainly because shes retained the ability to swing the ball early. Dave Robinson Jersey. In T20, I think its really valuable to have a bowler who can bring the ball back into the right hander at pace. If Plan A fails, then the No1 ranked T20 bowler has variations up her sleeve and can bowl excellent yorkers. Sarah Taylors batting and keeping will be crucial for England Englands key player: Sarah TaylorNot just with the bat but also behind the stumps. If she has a good tournament then I can guarantee England will, too. She is experienced enough to shoulder the responsibility with the bat and her consistency in this format in recent times will be valuable to the side going forward.Rising star: Smriti Mandhana (India)At 19 years of age, shes already making waves across the international circuit. A classy and elegant left-hander, Smriti had a successful tour of England in 2014 and recently had Australia scratching their heads in their own backyard. She comes into the tournament in some very good form against SL too. Having played well across the globe, I look forward to watching her bat in conditions that she is most familiar with. Remember the name Smriti Mandhana - you may be hearing it a lot Best thing about touring India: The unfaltering passion for the game - and, hopefully, some big crowds.It all depends on how well the games are marketed to be honest. At the last ICC womens event in India there wasnt much attention, but then hardly anyone knew a World Cup was going on. More TV games and an Indian team that have been doing well recently will hopefully arouse interest. A full house at Eden Gardens? Its happened before for a womens final - how brilliant would it be if it happened again?Watch England Womens opening World T20 clash, against Bangladesh, from 9.30am, Thursday, Sky Sports 2. Also See: Tash Farrants T20 Diary Womens cricket home Cricket fixtures/results Get Sky Sports Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
Share: