A brief look at Cardinals/Vikings history | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
huangjian123
huangjian123 Nov 11 '18

It’s a little later in the week than we usually do this Authentic Ben Gedeon Jersey , but it’s time to take a look back at the history between the Minnesota Vikings and their opponent for the upcoming week. On Sunday, the Vikings will return home for the first time since Week 3 to take on the Arizona Cardinals, who this past Sunday became the last team in the NFL to get into the victory column.These two teams have been fairly evenly matched over the years, but it’s depended heavily on where the games have been located. The Cardinals’ success in Minnesota has been pretty limited over the years, regardless of where they’ve called home.As always, the numbers in this piece are brought to you by the folks from Pro Football Reference. Also, we will focus on regular season numbers only.Games between the Vikings and the Cardinals: 25All-time record: Vikings, 14-11Total Vikings’ points scored, head-to-head: 595 (23.8 points/game)Total Cardinals’ points scored, head-to-head: 559 (22.4 points/game)Longest Vikings’ winning streak vs Cardinals: 4, 12 December 1995 to 12 November 2000Longest Cardinals’ winning streak vs Vikings: 4, 6 November 1977 to 30 October 1983Most recent Vikings’ home win in series: 20 November 2016 (final score 30-24)Most recent Cardinals’ road win in series: 6 November 1977 (final score 27-7)Biggest Vikings’ home win in series: 27 points, 13 October 1991 (final score 34-7)Biggest Cardinals’ road win in series: 42 points, 6 October 1963 (final score 56-14, first game between the two teams)Current streak: Vikings, 1 winYes, the last time an NFL team named the Cardinals won a game in Minnesota, they were not the Arizona Cardinals. They weren’t even the Phoenix Cardinals. They were the St. Louis Cardinals. Actually, if you look back at the history between these two teams, the Cardinals won the first four regular season games in Minnesota between these two teams (though the Vikings did get a post-season victory over the Cardinals en route to Super Bowl IX against Pittsburgh).In that 1977 contest, neither team generated a whole lot in the passing game. Both teams threw for 143 yards, and both starting quarterbacks (Fran Tarkenton and Jim Hart) were intercepted three times. The difference was the fact that the Cardinals gained 316 yards on the ground, whereas the Vikings. . .well, didn’t. Two Cardinals running backs, Wayne Morris and Terry Metcalf, each had a pair of touchdowns in that one, and they each had one on the ground and one through the air. Morris did the majority of the damage, rushing for 182 yards, and the Cardinals raced out to a 27-0 lead before a garbage time touchdown from Sammy White in the fourth quarter closed the final margin to 27-7.The last game between these two teams took place at U.S. Bank Stadium in 2016, and saw the Vikings riding a four-game losing streak after their 5-0 start. They had to do something to try to get themselves right again http://www.minnesotavikingsteamonline.com/laquon-treadwell-jersey , and a couple of their stars did their best to do just that. Near the end of the first half, this happened:That 100-yard pick-six by Xavier Rhodes now stands as the longest interception return for a touchdown in team history, and gave the Vikings a lead at halftime. To start the second half, Cordarrelle Patterson took a kickoff 104 yards for another score, and the Vikings were able to hold off a late Arizona rally to walk out with a 30-24 victory.That’s a brief look back at the history between the Minnesota Vikings and the St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, ladies and gentlemen. The Vikings have won their last eight regular season games on friendly soil between these two teams, and hopefully they can extend that streak of dominance to nine in a row. The longest-tenured Bronco isn't sure if he'll be in Denver much longer as rumors swirl that wide receiver Demaryius Thomas is available as the NFL's trade deadline approaches next week."It's football. It's a business. That's what happens," Thomas said Monday of the trade buzz. "That's what happens. It's happened before. I never think it would happen to me. But I'm just like everybody else. I'm an athlete and it happens once you get older."On Monday, the Dallas Cowboys acquired 24-year-old Amari Cooper from Oakland for a 2019 first-round draft pick, taking the top available receiver off the market.Although Thomas, 30, is averaging a career-low 11.3 yards per catch as Broncos rookie Courtland Sutton carves out a bigger role in Denver's offense, Thomas is tied with Emmanuel Sanders for the team lead with three touchdown receptions.Coach Vance Joseph said he doesn't need to address the trade rumors with his players."I don't. I really don't. It's rumors. It's gossip. It doesn't matter to our football team, really," Joseph said. "Our only concern is the Chiefs, and that's on Sunday. But, this time of the year, I watched the games on Sunday obviously. There's a lot of rumors out there, a lot of gossip, a lot of content for different shows."Until those things happen, we can't address them or worry about them."Joseph meets daily with general manager John Elway and said the boss hasn't conveyed any trade talks to him."He has not," Joseph said. "That makes it rumor. That makes it gossip. And that makes it right now something that we can't worry about."Thomas, who has a $12.5 million salary cap hit this year and a $17.5 million hit next season, said he'd be flattered if other teams are indeed inquiring about him."I didn't know that, but it's a good thing if somebody is interested in me, and I can still play ball," Thomas said. "I still have a chance if I get traded. Of course, I want to be here, but you know."The Broncos (3-4) ended a four-game skid with a 45-10 rout of the Arizona Cardinals on Thursday night. It marked their first game scoring 30 or more points since Week 2 last season against Dallas.In between, they lost 15 of 20 games Womens Eric Kendricks Jersey , the worst stretch of Thomas' nine-year career in Denver.Thomas said he's keeping his focus on Sunday's game at Kansas City (6-1) even with next Tuesday's trade deadline looming."I play for these guys in the locker room, and the organization, of course," Thomas said. "But these guys in the locker room keep my head on straight, help me not think about it and just go on about my business, control what I can control. That's all I do. Every day, in and out, I can control what I can control."The rest will pan out for itself."Thomas, who was selected 22nd overall out of Georgia Tech in 2010, three spots ahead of Tim Tebow, has been through five coaches — Josh McDaniels, Eric Studesville, John Fox, Gary Kubiak and Joseph — and seven starting quarterbacks — Kyle Orton, Tebow, Peyton Manning, Brock Osweiler, Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch and Case Keenum — in Denver.He started off slowly this year with a handful of drops through the first two games but has been solid and one of Keenum's most trustworthy targets over the last month.Thomas said he was just too anxious early on."I'm just trying not to run without the ball," Thomas said. "The first three drops I had at the beginning of the season, I was trying to run without the ball. Now, I'm just making sure that I secure my catch and then go."His preference, he said, is to finish his career in Denver."I'd love to be here," Thomas said. "I've been here my whole career."Notes: The Broncos officially placed LG Ronald Leary (Achilles) on IR and replaced him with G/C Nico Falah, a rookie from USC whom they signed off the Jets practice squad. ... Joseph said CB Adam Jones will return to practice Wednesday for the first time in two weeks. ... Injured players who are day-to-day are: S Darian Stewart (neck), RB Royce Freeman (high ankle sprain), WR DaeSean Hamilton (right MCL sprain), RT Jared Veldheer (knee) and OLB Shane Ray (right ankle sprain).

Share: