#https://livenbcgame.de/joshuavspovetkin-3/ | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
KSVK
KSVK Sep 18 '18

https://livenbcgame.de/joshuavspovetkin-3/

BoxingLive: Joshua vs Povetkin: Can Anthony Joshua be a superstar in the United States?At London (DAZN):Anthony Joshua vs. Alexander Povetkin, 12 rounds, for Joshua’s, Right now, there’s no question coming off of his victory over Gennady Golovkin that unified middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is the top boxing star in the United States. Across the Atlantic, that title belongs to unified heavyweight titleholder Anthony Joshua (21-0, 20 KOs), who puts his IBF, WBA and WBO titles on the line Saturday against former heavyweight champ Alexander Povetkin at Wembley Stadium.

Joshua vs Povetkin Live Stream

The biggest criticism of Joshua has been all of his fights have taken place in his native England without him ever making the trek over to the U.S. to fight. Does he really need to do that, though?His last three fights with Wladimir Klitschko, Carlos Takam and Joseph Parker have sold in excess of 250,000 tickets at Wembley and Principality Stadium, respectively. That, and he has another bout scheduled at Wembley in April 2019. So, why leave, knowing you can sell out stadiums and make tens of millions of dollars, to venture into an unknown territory?

On the other hand, the argument can be made that you truly don’t become recognized as one of the all time greats until you compete in the United States. Look at Joshua’s countryman Lennox Lewis and the Klitschko brothers, Wladimir and Vitaly.

Lewis recognized it immediately. While he knew fighting at home was great and all, if he was going to secure the marquee bouts and make the kind of money he desired, then coming across the pond became imperative. Nobody remembers when he fought Gary Mason in March 1991. People still talk about his two fights with Evander Holyfield, the record setting battle with Mike Tyson and what ended up being his final bout with Vitaly Klitschko. And where did those take place? The United States.

The same can be said about the Klitschko brothers. They were revered in Europe, but only the hardcore boxing fans knew who they were in the U.S. It took Wladimir, for better or for worse, getting knocked out by Lamon Brewster in 2004 for people to care about him, follow his journey back to the title and becoming the best heavyweight from that time until he lost to Joshua in April 2017. In the case of Vitaly, it was the bloody war, which sent Lewis into retirement in June 2003, that showed the world these big, bruising heavyweight from the Ukraine are something to be reckon with.

When you ask people about the stars in boxing, it takes a minute to hear Joshua’s name. You hear Alvarez, Golovkin and Manny Pacquiao before Joshua starts to get mentioned.

Joshua told Sporting News in July that he would like to fight inside the 100,000 seat AT&T Stadium, home of the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys. Could Joshua make his stateside debut there?

Sure, but he would need to take two to three fights to establish himself and get the people all warm and fuzzy for him, before making that journey.

It’s not like there aren’t any opponents for him to fight. You have WBC titleholder Deontay Wilder (that fight should be saved for AT&T Stadium), Jarrell “Big Baby” Miller, a rematch with Klitschko (if he could be lured out of retirement) or a rematch with Dominic Breazeale. And those can take place at Madison Square Garden in New York City, the Barclays Center in Brooklyn or the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

But does Joshua care about being a true worldwide superstar? It’s easy to get comfortable in the confines of your own territory. There’s nothing wrong in doing such and you can’t begrudge someone for continuing what’s working.

But when it is all said and done, for Anthony Joshua to have his name entrenched with the legends of the sport, he will have to embark on the journey and come to where people come to give themselves a better chance at life and prosperity.

Anthony Joshua believes his cautious approach against Joseph Parker in his last fight was justified after watching Dillian Whyte struggle against the New Zealander.

Joshua was taken the distance for the first time in his professional career to relieve Parker of the WBO heavyweight title and become a three-belt champion in March in Cardiff.

However, he highlighted Parker’s fight with Whyte in July, in which both fighters were knocked down before the Briton earned a narrow unanimous points win, as proof that his strategy in Cardiff was correct.

”If I didn’t win that Parker fight, I wouldn’t be here now,” Joshua said on Friday. ”If I went to try and knock him out, anything could have happened.

”Look at the fight with Dillian and Parker. By an inch he got that decision, and I don’t want fights like that. I want to win clear and make sure that it sets up bigger and better things.”

Joshua’s three world titles will be up for grabs against mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin on Sept. 22 at Wembley Stadium.

RUSSIAN SPY Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin: Russian has studied the champ for years – and can’t believe how far AJ has come since London 2012

On Saturday the Russian — mandatory challenger for AJ’s WBA heavyweight title — faces the undefeated champion whose IBF and WBO versions of the world crown will also be on the line at Wembley.

Povetkin said Joshua has been on his radar ever since seeing him controversially beat Italian Roberto Cammarelle in the final of the 2012 Games on the ‘countback’ system.

And he has studied all of Joshua’s 21 unbeaten pro fights since, marvelling at how AJ rules three of the four roosts in the heavyweight division.

Povetkin, who was last year cleared of any wrongdoing after failing TWO drugs tests in 2016, said: “To be honest, I didn’t expect him to go so far in such a short period of time.

Povetkin’s only loss on his 35-fight record since turning pro SEVEN YEARS before AJ’s London 2012 glory, is a points defeat to former world champ Wladimir Klitschko.

And he is in no doubt who is the most dangerous between Joshua and Klitschko who was battered into retirement by AJ back in April last year.

Povetkin, 39, added: “Is Joshua a bigger challenge than Klitschko? I’d definitely say so.

“Since my fight with Klitschko five years ago, a lot of time has passed and I can assure you I’ve got stronger.

Share: