and finished 2 for 6 with run, a | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
miaowang123
miaowang123 Nov 17 '17
PALM HARBOR, Fla. Charles Barkley Jersey . -- John Senden never imagined it would take more than seven years to win again. Even more surprising is how he won the Valspar Championship. Sunday at Innisbrook had all the trappings of a tournament that is survived more than it is won. Robert Garrigus, who started the final round with the lead, hit a tee shot that bounced off a lawn chair and wound up next to a tree, leading to a double bogey. Kevin Na, playing in the final group, missed a 3-foot putt and made a double bogey during a meltdown at the end of his front nine. Each mistake brought more players into the mix on the Copperhead course until at one point there were nine players separated by three shots with more than an hour to go and the treacherous "Snake Pit" stretch of three fearsome closing holes ahead. But thats where Senden seized control -- on the 16th hole, with a shot into the trees. In a three-way tie for the lead with Na and Scott Langley, Sendens tee shot was headed for a tiny forest when it smacked off a tree and left him an opening. "I got a pretty good break there with hitting the tree and dropping straight down," he said. "Then I hit a really good second shot to get in some sort of position near the green. Walking up to the shot, I just felt like, OK, I need to hit a really good shot here to get this up-and-down and try to have a chance to do something down the stretch. "I thought it came out well," he said. "It disappeared. Amazing." He chipped in from 70 feet for birdie to break the tie. He made a 20-foot birdie putt on the next hole to stretch his lead to two shots. And when he could hear Na made a birdie putt on the 17th hole behind him to cut the lead to one, the 42-year-old Australian hit one might have been his best putt of the day that didnt go in. It was a 40-foot putt that went up a ridge and moved slightly to the right, and then went down the slope and sharply to the left. Senden hit it so well that he only had a few inches left to tap in for his par and a 1-under 70. All that was left was to wait to see if Na could make birdie and force a playoff. Na caught a flier out of the first cut of rough with a pitching wedge to 40 feet, and the birdie putt didnt have a chance. He closed with a 72 to finish second, his best result on the PGA Tour since he won at Las Vegas at the end of 2011. "I knew coming into today that I felt like if I shot par I had a chance to win," Na said. "If I break par, I felt like it was going to be a lock." Senden finished at 7-under 277, the third straight event on the Florida swing where the winning score was single-digit under par. He wasnt thinking about all the perks that go along with winning, though he was clear on one thing -- he wont have the week off the second week in April. Senden earned a spot in the Masters, always the biggest major for Australians, even with Adam Scott winning last year. He also locked up a berth in the PGA Championship, two World Golf Championships the rest of the year (at Firestone and Shanghai) and Kapalua to start next year. Its a good feeling for Senden, one that he had forgotten. His only other PGA Tour win was in 2006 at the John Deere Classic. Senden capped off that year by winning the Australian Open at Royal Sydney. "Its something that makes you believe more than you can get it done again, rather than just once and thinking back then in 06, Was it a flash in the pan? I dont believe so," Senden said. "But now it makes me feel (validated) from the John Deere." Scott Langley, hitting superb shots to account for the wind, didnt hit a green over the final four holes and still managed to save par on three of them. The one bogey on the 16th hole, when he went long of the green from the middle of the fairway, proved costly. Langley and David Hearn were the only players who shot par or better all four days. Langley closed with a 70 to finish alone in third. Garrigus made two double bogeys on his way to a 41 on the back nine. He also went 26 holes without a birdie dating to the third round Saturday, when he led by as many as four shots. By the time he made birdie at No. 14, it was too late. Garrigus, now 0-4 when he has at least a share of the 54-hole lead, closed with a 75. He tied for fourth with Will MacKenzie (69) and Luke Donald (70). "I know what Im not going to be doing next year -- fishing," said Garrigus, who figures he caught three dozen large-mouth bass this week. "Im going to bring a damn chain saw out to the place and cut a few trees down. I kept hitting it behind them all day. I just didnt get any breaks." Danny Welbeck Jersey . 5 Trade Deadline is drawing closer and teams will be deciding on whether to buy or sell while figuring out which players can make the biggest difference and hold the greatest value. John Stones Jersey . The team said Saturday that the 36-year-old Robidas is expected to miss four to six months, jeopardizing his return this season. He was injured when he slid hard into the boards in the second period of a 2-1 shootout loss to Chicago on Friday.MIAMI -- Chicago Cubs pitcher Travis Wood delivered a victory from the mound on Sunday. A day later, he did the same from the batters box. The pinch-hitting pitcher had an RBI double with two outs in the 13th inning, giving the Chicago Cubs a 5-4 victory over the Miami Marlins. "I knew I was coming up that inning, so I had been stretched out, swinging down in the tunnel," Wood said. "I came up, luckily Junior got on and I was able to hit it down the line and put us up." Called on to bat for reliever Carlos Villanueva (3-5), Wood hit a sharp groundball off Jacob Turner (2-5) down the left field line, scoring Junior Lake for the go-ahead run. Wood was pressed into action as available players dwindled. Cubs manager Rick Renteria used lefties Chris Coghlan and Nate Schierholtz in the seventh and 10th innings, respectively. By the 13th, the Cubs had gone through seven pitchers and all batters but righty Eli Whiteside. "(Whiteside) was my last guy, then if we get beyond and I use Russ (James Russell), I need somebody to pitch and I still need another body," Renteria said. "The way (Wood) handles the bat, he gave us, he gave himself a chance in that at bat." Wood, who is hitting .250 this season, was 0 for 4 as a pinch hitter entering the game. "I always hit growing up, out of high school," Wood said. "I didnt have 3, 4 year of not hitting. So I kind of just stuck with it and its part of my job as a starting pitcher in the National League, so I practice at it and try to do the best I can." Miamis Tom Koehler was near perfect to start, retiring 14 of the first 15 batters. Only Mike Olt registered a hit against the Marlins starter during that stretch. But the Cubs overcame a 3-0 deficit in the sixth inning, highlighted by Starlin Castros three-run homer. After the Marlins were unable to turn a double play on pitcher Justin Hammels bunt, Luis Valbuena and Justin Ruggiano followed with singles. Hammel ended Koehlers shutout when he scored on a groundout by Anthony Rizzo. Castro then gave Chicago a 4-3 lead with a three-run homer, his 10th of the season. "Other than the curveball that I hung there, they did a good job of hitting some quality pitches," Koehler said. "Unfortunately, in this game the results dont always mirror the quality of the outing. I do feel like I let the guys down when we had that three-run lead going into the inning. Kieran Trippier Jersey. " Koehler, who gave up five hits and struck out five, failed to get beyond the sixth inning for the third time in his last four starts. "Tom is having a tough time getting through that sixth inning," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said. "He was breezing. Hes got to fight through that to win games at this level." The Marlins responded in the bottom half of the sixth. Marcell Ozuna led off with a triple and scored on a sacrifice fly by Adeiny Hechavarria. Hammel allowed four runs and eight hits. He struck out nine in six innings. Giancarlo Stanton put the Marlins on the board in the first inning with his 19th home run, a two-run line drive that just cleared the right field wall. "I could not get the slider down and that was the ball that Stanton hit," Hammel said. "Ive never seen a home run like that. I think it took two seconds to get out of the ballpark. I thought it was going to be a foul ball and hitting the base of the wall or something. Thats impressive." Miami padded its lead in the third when Stanton scored on Casey McGehees single to right. The Marlins failed to convert with the bases loaded in the seventh. Garrett Jones grounded into a forceout at home and Ozuna struck out looking. NOTES: The Marlins observed a moment of silence for Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn, who died Monday. ... The Cubs improved to 3-6 in extra inning games this season. The Marlins fell to 4-6. ... Castro registered his 11th three-hit game and now shares the major league lead in the category with Colorados Troy Tulowitzki. With his home run in the sixth, Castro picked up his eighth extra-base hit in his last 10 games. ... The Cubs intentionally walked Stanton in the 11th inning, giving the Marlins slugger 14 intentional passes this season. Stanton trails only Bostons David Ortiz (15) in intentional walks. ... Jake Marisnick and Justin Bour, both recalled from Triple-A New Orleans, saw action in Mondays game. Marisnick batted leadoff in place of the injured OF Christian Yelich and finished 2 for 6 with run, a walk and two stolen bases. Bour struck out in a pinch-hit appearance for Koehler in the sixth inning, ... The teams continue the series Tuesday night, with Chicago RHP Jeff Samardzija (2-6) facing RHP Anthony DeSclafani (1-1). Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
Share: