before losing to the Philadelphia 76ers | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
miaowang123
miaowang123 Nov 17 '17
CHICAGO -- The Chicago Bears have a wide-open competition at safety so far in training camp. Steve Cishek Jersey . Through the first eight days of practices, the Bears have used several veterans at filling both safety spots. And its possible some players who are not even dressed at this point will be part of the mix before camp concludes. The Bears defence dropped to 30th in the league last season and the safety play lacked consistency both in pass coverage and stopping the run. Former New York Giant Ryan Mundy, rookie Brock Vereen, former Dallas Cowboy Danny McCray and 34-year-old former Arizona Cardinal Adrian Wilson have all been tried at the starting safety spots in camp. "The rationale is its an open competition, were going to move people around, and youre going to see that throughout training camp and the exhibition season," coach Marc Trestman said. Vereen and Mundy played the spots with the starters through most of organized team activities and in the first five days of camp. Then Trestman put Vereen with the reserves and put McCray alongside Mundy. McCray was largely a special teams player in four years with Dallas and had 10 starts, all in 2012. "Its a big opportunity," McCray said. "I think thats what were all here for -- open competition. Theyre just rolling people around to see who can make plays. "Everybody has an equal chance. Theyve shown that throughout OTAs and minicamp." Its not surprising to Mundy that McCray would get consideration even if he was regarded chiefly a special teams acquisition. "He brings a high level of energy to the game," Mundy said. "Hes very active around the ball. He knows how to get the ball out and thats something that we value here in our defence -- getting the ball out." Vereen said he cant be too concerned about being moved to the second team after so much time spent with the starters. "In my mind, Im still a rookie who has to prove he belongs on the 53-man roster," the fourth-round pick from Minnesota said. "Im far too young to even worry about starting, not starting, whatever. In my mind I still need to prove Im worthy of being on this team." Looking at all the veterans, Vereen acknowledged hed like to be a starter from Day 1. "But these guys have been here three, four, shoot, 10 years," he said. "Im in catch-up mode. Thats the mindset I want to have." Each player has had strong practices followed by struggles against a Bears offence that has operated more efficiently from the outset of camp in Trestmans second year. Wilson was a late arrival, signing June 23 and missing all of the off-season workouts. He needed the time as hes been recovering from heel surgery. Wilson made five Pro Bowls and had 27 interceptions with the Arizona Cardinals. "I think what Adrian has done, hes kind of worked himself back into playing football, and weve kind of just stood back and allowed him to acclimate himself on not only whats going on in the classroom, but let him get his feet underneath him on the field," Trestman said. Wilson said hes playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder after seeing reports and hearing many regarding him as washed up. Bears general manager Phil Emery saw possible value in him. "I think Mr. Emery gave me a chance," Wilson said. "I think its a low risk for them, high reward. So Im looking forward to the opportunity." Former Green Bay Packer M.D. Jennings has been playing largely with the third team, and two other Bears have yet to join practices. Last years free safety starter, Chris Conte, is on the physically unable to perform list because of shoulder surgery, and backup/special teams player Craig Steltz is also on PUP due to groin surgery. Conte is in the final year of his contract after starting 40 games in three seasons. Defensive co-ordinator Mel Tucker is looking for more consistency from Vereen, but its something all the safeties have to show after the secondary allowed more completions of 20 yards or more (59) than all but six teams. "As we stack more and more practices on and we add more defences and schemes and things like that and now the question becomes can you do it day in and day out at a high level, with the young guys," Tucker said. "And those guys have to prove that. "And not only the young guys, but when you look at veteran guys, you want to see if guys can still do it. Thats a big part of it. Can you still do it on a consistent basis at a winning level? Were all out here to prove that. And thats the challenge." Logan Forsythe Jersey . The win gives Canada its fifth title at the World Sledge Hockey Challenge. "Weve got to keep pushing," said Westlake, who led Canada with five goals in the tournament. "The second you let off the pedal, everyone catches up. Lucas Duda Jersey .com) - Generally you want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the legend.Got a question on rule clarification, comments on rule enforcements or some memorable NHL stories? Kerry wants to answer your emails at cmonref@tsn.ca. Hi Kerry,Love the column and of course the hair! We here in Orange County obviously have a great admiration for Teemu Selanne and have been fortunate to see him play for the last many years and win a championship. With his impending retirement, do you have any good or funny stories you can share with the fans? We know the kind of player he is and what a nice guy he is off the ice, but few of us know what kind of person he is on the ice. Thanks for doing this column, always a great read. Chris from Laguna Niguel Chris:I can tell you first hand that Teemu Selanne is as nice a guy on the ice as he is off of it. While we didnt always agree (as you might expect) I never heard a curse word or disrespectful comment come out of the mouth of the "Finnish Flash"; either directed at me or anyone else. From the very first game that I saw Teemu as a rookie with the Winnipeg Jets, I knew this guy was a very special talent. The rest of the hockey world would quickly recognize just how skilled Teemu was while on his way to scoring 76 goals and winning the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year in the 1992-93 season. (Teemus record remains intact for most goals for a rookie in the NHL.) Teemu always seemed to exude a "boyish" smile when he was on the ice; a signal to me as how much he loved to play the game. I also witnessed acts of kindness that he demonstrated off the ice to arena and parking attendants in the Honda Centre and other NHL cities. An off-ice official of the Calgary Flames once shared with me that Selanne was such a friendly and classy superstar that he could make people around him feel better about themselves; even in their relative insignificance!  As nice a guy as Teemu is, I also saw a fierce competitiveness and desire to win. Like all champions he hated losing; but unlike some, Teemu did so with class and grace. The worst I ever got from him at the end of a close loss (when he thought I was less than perfect in my performance) was a saddened look of disappointment and perhaps a slight shake of his head as he exited the ice. If the game was on the line Selanne wanted the puck on his stick. He had pull-away speed and a rifle of a shot that made him a game changer. Teemu always made playyers around him better because he could finish the play. Derek Norris Jersey. We recently witnessed Selannes deep national pride as captain of the Finnish Olympic team in Sochi. The 43-year-old played with speed, youthful energy and determination in leading his team to a bronze medal for his home country. I first encountered that Finnish pride in the 1996 World Cup of Hockey, an NHL-sponsored event as a prelude to the 98 Olympics in Nagano, Japan. I worked a game in Helsinki (Sweden vs. Finland) where the fan atmosphere was more like a U.S. college football game than a hockey game and was like nothing I had ever experienced before. An hour prior to game time fans jammed into the arena end zone, many with their shirt off and face and body painted in Finnish blue. They chanted and sang unceasingly. It also appeared that they consumed a considerable amount of alcohol. Drums were beaten and horns blew. The crowd never sat down in the end zone seats. Instead they stood throughout the whole game shoulder to shoulder and cheered for Teemu Selanne and their other heroes.  They were a happy crowd; very loud but not boisterous or unruly. They were having fun watching the game they loved and went wild when Finland won the game. Back in the Officials dressing room I had showered and dressed as the party continued inside the arena. The dressing room door opened and a guy I thought to be Teemu Selanne said, "Hey Kerry do you have any beer in your room?" I thought it to be very unusual but invited Teemu in and told him to help himself. He sat down and we were having a great visit over a few beers when finally Teemu admitted that he really wasnt Teemu Selanne at all but his twin brother Paavo! Paavo Selanne was a real character and said that his brother Teemu told him there is always beer in the refs room. The next time I saw Teemu and told him of the case of mistaken identity his smile changed to a belly laugh over the joke his brother played on us. They are a fun-loving family. Congratulations to Teemu and his family on a tremendous NHL and international career. There is no doubt he will eventually enter the Hockey Hall of Fame. It couldnt happen to a more deserving candidate and nicer guy. When that day happens maybe I will be lucky enough to sit down and enjoy a beer with Teemu and his twin brother Paavo in celebration of this great players career. Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
Share: