who has a win and a loss.Wozniacki was able to smile after | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
miaowang123
miaowang123 Jan 8 '18
SOCHI, Russia -- Shea Webers shot left his stick, and by the time it hit the net, Canada was able to exhale. Mike Adams Jersey . For much of the night, Team Canada forced everyone to hold their collective breath while goaltender Kristers Gudlevskis and Latvia played with house money in the mens Olympic hockey quarter-final. Webers third-period goal was enough to break the tie and help the Canadians escape with a 2-1 victory at Bolshoy Ice Dome on Wednesday. The win gave Canada a spot in semifinals, where it will meet the rival Americans for a berth in the gold-medal game. The United States beat the Czech Republic 5-2 at Shayba Arena to move on. Nerves from the Canadian contingent were palpable throughout the game against Latvia, from the time Lauris Darzins scored in the first period to tie the score until Weber reclaimed the lead with a blast from the point on the power play at 13:06 of the third. Had 11th-seeded Latvia beaten third-seeded Canada, it would have arguably been one of the biggest upsets in the history of Olympic hockey. Instead, Canada was able to survive an unexpected test against a gritty group coached by Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., native Ted Nolan. Latvia was outshot 57-16 overall but managed to hang in the game thanks to 55 saves from Gudlevskis, a prospect in the Tampa Bay Lightning organization. "It can get to you," Canadian forward Patrick Marleau said Canadas struggles to beat Gudlevskis. Patrick Sharp scored Canadas first goal in the first period, and goalie Carey Price made 15 saves. But it was Webers goal through a screen after a give-and-go at the points with Drew Doughty with three seconds left on a power play that made the difference. With puck drop coming just two hours after host Russias tournament ended with a stunning 3-1 loss to Finland, the atmosphere inside Bolshoy was, as Pavel Datsyuk described his emotions, "empty." Previously the home fans filled the arena, chanted "Roos-ee-ah" and at least revelled in rooting against Canada. This time they were more subdued, save for joining in with some "Lat-vee-ah" chants started by a group wearing bright orange. Gudlevskis gave them a chance to cheer with a big save on Jamie Benn two minutes in, and Chris Kunitz a chance to gasp as he hit the crossbar seconds after Sidney Crosby almost scored. But Canadian fans got the first chance to celebrate when the fourth line opened the scoring 13:37 in. Rick Nash collected the puck in front of the net, skated behind it just long enough for John Tavares to set a screen and fed Sharp, who hit the open hole perfectly to make it 1-0. Not long after, a set neutral-zone play by Latvia led to a breakaway on Price and a tie score. Defenceman Sandis Ozolinsh stepped off the ice and Darzins, a forward who impressed with a pretty toe drag earlier, stepped on just in time for Winnipeg Jets property Arturs Kulda to spring him for a pass. Canadian defencemen Jay Bouwmeester and Alex Pietrangelo got beat clean, and Darzins scored on a back-hander over Prices right pad at 15:41. That was enough to fire up many Russian fans to make this much more like a hostile, road game for Canada. On the ice it felt similar, as Ted Nolans group made the Canadians work for quality scoring chances despite a huge shot discrepancy. Early in the second period it wasnt a shot but a hit that made a huge difference for Canada and the New York Islanders. Kulda hit Tavares hard, and the fourth-line centre went down in a heap in the corner. Tavares was able to skate off under his own power and remained on the bench briefly before going down the tunnel. It was not immediately clear what the injury was. Without Tavares, coach Mike Babcock was forced to shuffle his lines, putting 13th forward Martin St. Louis on right wing with Kunitz and Crosby and sliding Bergeron down to centre the fourth line between Sharp and Nash. Canada continued the siege on Gudlevskis throughout the second period, outshooting Latvia 15-2. But it could not break through. It looked like that run was over 8:27 into the third, but a controversial call kept it 1-1. Jonathan Toews and Marleau got the puck to the goal-line and almost over, but Latvia defenceman Kristaps Sotnieks gloved it to keep it out. The ruling was that the puck did not fully cross the line, and Canada did not get a penalty shot because that cannot be awarded on review. NOTES: Forward Matt Duchene and defenceman P.K. Subban were Canadas healthy scratches vs. Latvia. Babcock said Subban, who appeared in only one of four games, has been "excellent" about handling his role. Duchene tweeted a "best of luck" message to his teammates Wednesday afternoon. ... Former Boston Bruins and Ottawa Senators forward Kaspars Daugavins was scratched for Latvia because of an illness. ... The attendance was announced as 9,852. Kawann Short Jersey. Never caused problems. Never raised a ruckus. Never got sick or hurt while frolicking in the fields of Claiborne Farm in Paris, Ky. Ed Dickson Jersey . Sami Vatanen had a goal and an assist and Anaheim used a four-goal first period to extend their winning streak to six games with a 5-2 win over the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday night.SINGAPORE - Eugenie Bouchards brilliant season on the WTA Tour came to an anticlimactic end.Bouchard was defeated 6-1, 6-1 by Serena Williams on Thursday, eliminating her from semifinal contention at the season-ending WTA Finals.The native of Westmount, Que., struggled at the prestigious tournament, failing to win a set in three straight losses against Simona Halep, Ana Ivanovic and Williams.Still, the mere fact that Bouchard made it to a tournament reserved for the top eight players in the world in her first full season on the tour outweighs the disappointment of her tough finish in Singapore.Yeah, its been fun, Bouchard said of her WTA Finals debut. Definitely a unique experience compared to any other tournament, one I would love to come back to in the future.Definitely disappointed with my play this whole week, but I feel like I can do so much better. Thats a positive I can take out of it as well.Despite the way it ended, this season was a resounding success for Bouchard. The 20-year-old made a big splash at the Grand Slam level, advancing to the Wimbledon final and the semifinals of the Australian Open and French Open.She rose to No. 5 in the world, the highest position ever achieved by a Canadian, and won her first WTA tournament in May in Nurnberg, Germany.Its been crazy, hectic, intense. I dont know, those words come to mind, Bouchard said of the last 10 months. Really enjoyable as well. No matter how tough its been, I love playing tennis.Bouchard came into the tournament with only two tour matches in a month due to injuries, and won only 11 games across her three matches.I didnt have ideal preparation but that can happen to a number of players at any given tournament, she said.Bouchard said she was impressed with the carnival atmosphere of the WTA Finals, complete with pyrotechnics for the player pre-match introductions.I tweeted that before I knew the entrance was so grand. Then the first time I walked out I was like, This is actually like the Hunger Games, she said. Yeah, just like were walking out, one person left standing, walking out to our death maybe. It was intense.Bouchard said shell take some time off to relax before next season starts early next year.Im going to go into hibernation mode. Dont know when Ill wake up. Might be days; might be weeks, she said.Ill keep you guys posted when I do wake up eventually. Going to eat some cookie dough, hug my little brother. Thats all in my plans right now.Williams rebounded from the worst beating of her professional career to rout Bouchard, yet her title defence remains in the balance.Williams was humbled by Halep the previous day, when the 18-time Grand Slam champion won only two games.Williams will make the final four unless Ivanovic manages to beat Halep in straight sets on Friday. Halep is guaranteed a semifinal berth.Meanwhile, the outcome of the other group remains uncertain, with none of the four players qualified for the semis, and none out of contention. Captain Munnerlyn Jersey. Petra Kvitova beat Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-2, further eroding the Russian players hopes of claiming the year-end No. 1 ranking.Sharapova, who needs to win the title and rely on Williams not reaching the final if she is to bump the American from the top spot, fell to a 0-2 record while Kvitova is 1-1.In order for Sharapova to progress to the semis, she will need to win her last match against Agnieszka Radwanska and rely on Caroline Wozniacki beating Kvitova, and have both matches decided in straight sets.Williams credited her coach Patrick Mouratoglou with lifting her out of the doldrums and preparing her for Thursdays match.I started to believe that maybe I could come play another match, Williams said. I wasnt quite sure that I could.I was feeling mighty low. I was able to feed off this belief. I know that sounds weird, even though Ive won so many titles, I still at some point feel like, Oh gosh, maybe I might not be able to do this or maybe I might not be able to do that?Williams was fatalistic about whether she will make the semifinals and remain in the running for a third straight title at the season-ending championships.If I wanted to win and be a part of the event, I should have won my match yesterday or should have done better, Williams said. If I dont qualify, Ill be sad, but it wasnt my year. Im not going to fall out and die.Sharapova, who lost the Wimbledon final to Kvitova in 2011, beat the Czech left-hander in their past five meetings and started brightly by winning the opening two games. But Kvitova took over from there, winning 11 of the next 12 games.Kvitova said she was feeling burnt out during her opening loss to Radwanska, so took an unusual approach to freshen up for Thursday.When I lost against Aga ... I was so tired and sick of the tennis for a moment, Kvitova said. So I didnt practice today at all, and I just really relaxed and cleaned my mind a little bit.Earlier, Wozniacki moved closer to a place in the semis by beating Radwanska 7-5, 6-3 for her second win in the group stage.The first set, which began with four service breaks in five games, lasted 67 minutes and contained some lengthy rallies that were punctuated by superb shot-making.Radwanska ended up the loser but played a couple of extraordinary volley winners: One picked up at her shoelaces and lifted diagonally over the net, and another leaping effort played with her back to the net.I just needed some more good serves as well in that match, said Radwanska, who has a win and a loss.Wozniacki was able to smile after Radwanskas trick shots.Im like, OK, you know what, thats just too good, Wozniacki said. You can either get frustrated or laugh — its better to laugh. Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys AuthenticWholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
Share: