Here’s what life is like in Shanghai during the coronavirus outbreak | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
xysoom
xysoom Oct 21 '20

After originating in the central Chinese city of Wuhan late last year, the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) has spread around the world infecting more than 300,000 patients in over 150 countries. Last week the number of cases outside of China overtook those inside of the country, signifying a huge shift. What originally started as an Asia-specific problem has quickly morphed into a global pandemic, sending countries like Italy and France into full lockdown.To get more news about shanghai coronavirus cases, you can visit shine news official website.

Meanwhile, in many parts of China, life is slowly returning to normal. The Chinese government took decisive and at times extreme steps to curb the spread of the disease. Ultimately these measures had the desired effect, and new cases in China (especially excluding Hubei province where Wuhan is located) have slowed to just a trickle. I’ve lived in Shanghai for the last year and a half and spent a good month in the city self isolating during the peak of the outbreak before flying to the U.S. to be with my family.

The most common question I got from friends and family during my 14-day self isolation period was “Are you eating OK? Is there enough food?” Panic buying has gripped the U.S. and many western countries, but it was never once a problem in Shanghai. There was about a one-week period at the beginning of the outbreak when meat and produce were in short supply. This was as much due to the Lunar New Year festival as it was the coronavirus, and the disruption was short lived.

I was on vacation for a month during Chinese New Year, and I wasn’t sure what to expect when I returned. On my first day back I walked over to a grocery store on my street corner, a small store selling meat and produce as well as imported snacks and drinks. While I couldn’t find my absolute favorite brand of yogurt, there were plenty of options to pick from and I was able to purchase everything on my shopping list.

One of the best ways to pass the time if you’re social distancing is to cook, and after we cleared our 14-day quarantine period a British friend of mine was even able to secure a whole organic chicken for us to roast, and plenty of wine to keep us entertained.

Share: