feel pain, but then after the stage you might be in trouble. B feel pain, but then after the stage you might be in trouble. B | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
123 Dec 5 '19
MIAMI -- Ordinarily, Jose Fernandez against Clayton Kershaw would figure to be quite a pitchers duel. Dave Kingman Jersey .Fernandez lived up to his end of the bargain.The Miami ace tied a career high with 14 strikeouts, overshadowing Kershaws return from injury and leading the Marlins to a 4-1 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers on Friday night.Fernandez (14-8) gave up three hits and three walks in seven shutout innings. It was the fifth time hes struck out 14 in a game, and third this season.It seems like thats all I do lately. I cant pass 14, Fernandez said.Thats more than enough for the Marlins.Fernandez was simply dominant, improving to 4-0 all-time against the Dodgers and 28-2 at Marlins Park. There have been 12 games in the majors this season when a pitcher has struck out 14 or more, and no one else has more than one.His 102nd and last pitch -- which fanned Yasiel Puig -- hit 98 mph.He used his changeup more tonight and pitched inside more, Marlins manager Don Mattingly said. He was good.Fernandez is up to 238 strikeouts this year, 29 more than any Marlins pitcher has ever compiled in a season.J.T. Realmuto homered and Christian Yelich had two hits for Miami, which improved to 5-0 against the NL West leaders this season. Yasmani Grandal hit his 25th homer in the ninth for the Dodgers, who tried to rally against Fernando Rodney before A.J. Ramos came in and closed it out for his career-best 33rd save -- his first in more than a month.Kershaw (11-3) had not started for the Dodgers since June 26 because of a mild disk herniation in his back. He threw 66 pitches, 46 for strikes, while allowing two runs and five hits over three innings.The three-time Cy Young Award winner and 2014 NL MVP struck out five, did not walk a batter and now has 150 strikeouts against nine free passes in 2016.Its not spring training for anybody else so its not for me, either, Kershaw said. Weve got to beat the Giants. Weve got to win this division. Im thankful for what the guys did while I was gone. They played unbelievable. Theyre still playing unbelievable. I want to be a part of that. I want to help that. Tonight I didnt really help. So I need to do that, pretty soon.Kershaw wasnt thrilled with his outing, but Dodgers manager Dave Roberts was.For Clayton to be back on the mound, I think thats a win for us, Roberts said. Fernandez was good, but the No. 1 thing was Clayton got out of this feeling pretty well. We didnt expect him to be in midseason form anyway.THE DONMattingly is the third skipper in the last half-century to start 5-0 against the Dodgers -- the team he managed from 2011-15. He joined Jack McKeon (with the Padres in 1988) and Sparky Anderson (with the Reds in 1970).CELEBRATING PERFECTIONIt was the 51st anniversary of the only Dodgers perfect game, Sandy Koufaxs 1-0 gem against the Chicago Cubs. Dennis Martinez -- who pitched a perfect game for Montreal at Dodger Stadium in 1991 -- threw out one of Fridays ceremonial first pitches.UMPIRE HURTPlate umpire Brian Knight left the game in the fifth inning after getting struck in the mask and neck area by a ball that first hit Miamis Ichiro Suzuki and deflected into Knight.TRAINERS ROOMDodgers: OF Andre Ethier (broken right leg) could make his season debut this weekend. ... To make room for Kershaw when he was activated from the disabled list, Los Angeles put RHP Carlos Frias on the 60-day DL -- making him the 28th Dodgers player on the DL this season.Marlins: OF Giancarlo Stanton, limited to pinch-hitting duty, struck out with the bases loaded to end the fifth.UP NEXTThe series continues Saturday with LHP Rich Hill (11-3, 1.94 ERA; 8-0 in his last 10 starts) going for the Dodgers against RHP Tom Koehler (9-10, 3.87). Graig Nettles Jersey . One game after a miserable showing in Oklahoma City, Gay tied a career high with 41 points and the Sacramento Kings cruised to a 114-97 victory at the New Orleans Pelicans on Tuesday night. Derrel Thomas Jersey . The recently retired Stern was elected Friday to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and will be enshrined with the class of 2014 on Aug. https:///...e-jersey-padres.html . Haas said he "felt a lot of pain" in his right shoulder when he slammed his racket to the ground in frustration after losing his serve at 3-3 in the first set. SAINTE-MARIE-DU-MONT, France -- With his biological clock ticking, Alberto Contador had made the Tour de France his main goal of the season.But his quest for a third Tour title immediately suffered a serious blow on Saturday when the Spaniard crashed during the opening stage of the three-week race.The 33-year-old Contador hit a traffic curb while coming around a right turn with about 80 kilometers (50 miles) left in the first stage between Mont-Saint-Michel and Utah Beach in Normandy. The stage was won by Mark Cavendish following a sprint marred by a crash.This was not the best way to start. In theory it was a quiet day, Contador said. Im bruised all down along my right side from my ankle up but at least I dont have to go home. Hopefully I can get through the coming days and recover before the mountains. There are some positions where my shoulder gives me some doubts but I want to be optimistic and recover.Contador, who won cyclings showpiece race in 2007 and 2009, skipped the Giro this year to focus on the Tour. He won the Italian race last year but his efforts took a toll on the seven-time Grand Tour winner and he struggled in the heat of the French summer.After the crash, Contador got back on his bike with a ripped jersey and scrapes on his right shoulder. He later changed his bike and quickly made it to the back of the peloton with the help of his teammates.I came into the corner, there was a traffic island and my front wheel hit it and then I fell back on the curb, he said.Contador theen had to replace one of his shoes and dropped back to the race doctors car to have his shoulder bandaged. Dave Dravecky Jersey. He was awarded the same time as his main rivals after an ugly crash in the final stretch split the peloton.He has some abrasion on his right shoulder, elbow, and groin, race doctor Paul-Henri Jost said, adding that Contador took a small dose of painkillers. At first glance, this is no big deal.Contador, who was stripped of the 2010 Tour title and was suspended for two years after testing positive for the banned steroid clenbuterol in the final week of the race that year, was among the three main favorites alongside defending champion Chris Froome and Colombian climber Nairo Quintana.Tinkoff sports director Steven de Jongh gave reassuring news regarding his team leaders condition but it remains to be seen how he will recover in the coming days.The first signs are good, he said he was fine, De Jongh said. When you crash you get back on bike and dont feel pain, but then after the stage you might be in trouble. But hopefully hell be fine.Team Skys Luke Rowe was among those who went down with Contador and he was also able to return to the race, joining the pack with bottles for his teammates.The first week of the Tour is usually nervous and marred with crashes. In 2011, Contador crashed four times in the opening nine stages, damaging one of his knees. ' ' ' 
Share: