Trevor Sikkema of The Draft Network talks with the guys | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
zhangzk
zhangzk Nov 19 '19

Broncos could do and what he thinks they should do on Thursday night."Draft guru Trevor Sikkema joined Ryan Edwards Von Miller Jersey , Andrew Mason and Steve Atwater on Monday to talk first-round draft scenarios, and he believes two things are pretty surefire bets - Ed Oliver won’t be there at 10, and it will come down to either quarterback or middle linebacker for the Broncos’ first pick.Listen to "4-22-19 Trevor Sikkema on 1st & 10" on Spreaker.So unless you’ve been away at sea for the past four months and have had zero connection to the outside world, this is not news to you.But as much as The Draft Network’s Sikkema likes the Devin from Michigan (Bush) more than the Devin from LSU (White) - he believes that if a top quarterback is available for the Broncos, Elway should grab him.So we’re back to the same old debate - do Broncos need to take a potential franchise QB in round one of the draft this year, or can they afford to wait if they aren’t sold on one of those QBs?Sikkema thinks Kyler Murray is going No. 1 overall and that a team or two will trade up into the top 10 to take another top quarterback, so Dwayne Haskins or Daniel Jones could be available.“If I were [the Broncos], I’d be picking Dwayne Haskins, because if you don’t have a long-term answer at quarterback you’ve got to be able to fix it pretty quickly or at least give yourselves an option,” Sikkema said, adding that the Broncos do not have that long-term option on the team right now. “But you always want to restart that process to becoming a Super Bowl contender as quickly as possible, which means taking some risks on quarterbacks.”And Sikkema is still in favor of going after a potential franchise QB even without a strong offensive line or a solid offense just yet - though obviously at some point it has to be a total package for an offense to be truly successful.“If you have the opportunity to pick a guy you think could be the long-term future for you, you have to take that chance,” he said. “Even if rest of the offensive line or the offense in general or even the team in general isn’t quite ready, you have to know in your mind you can build on that and you can come together a lot better once you have a quarterback in place. “You may not do much winning right away Joe Flacco Jersey ,” he added, “but it’s much easier to build the team once you have that centerpiece there.”Mason, who also did his final first-round mock today and took Bush for his pick - even with Haskins still on the board, got a great explanation from Sikkema on why he prefers Devin Bush to Devin White.“It’s a very small separation because both are going to be in the league a long time, but I just love Devin Bush’s mental makeup and toughness on the field,” he said, adding that you always want your middle linebacker to be a leader on the field.“They’re both two very good linebackers. White is more of an attacking linebacker, an excellent A-gap blitzer. Bush can blitz from A-gap too, but I think he’s a little bit more fluid in coverage, especially in zone, which is so important playing in the middle of the field.”So in case the Broncos follow Sikkema’s first-round direction (QB) over Mason’s (LB), the crew wondered what Sikkema thought the Broncos’ direction should be in rounds two and three.If Denver goes quarterback, then getting an inside linebacker in round two is probably a good idea, given the drop-off in talent at that position in by round three and beyond. But if they go linebacker in one, then perhaps a tight end in round two and an interior offensive lineman in three would make sense Phillip Lindsay Jersey , he noted.“Erik McCoy and Chris Lindstrom make a lot of sense. Total plug-and-play guys,” Sikkema said, adding that he’s not as high on Dalton Risner as some because he has concerns about his speed and narrow base, but he also gave the Colorado native a lot of props. “He’s the kind of person you want playing offensive line. He loves to just move people from one spot to the other,” Sikkema added. “And he had great chemistry after just three days at Senior Bowl, which is such an important part of playing offensive line.” The Denver Broncos appear to have nailed the 2019 NFL Draft with back-to-back good drafts now. Here’s how they graded out."WhiteFanposts Fanshots Sections Broncos NewsBroncos 2019 Draft ClassBroncos PodcastsBroncos 2019 ScheduleKey Offseason DatesCommunity RulesFull ArchiveBroncos StoriesScheduleRosterStatsOdds Shop About Masthead Community Guidelines StubHub ✕NFL DraftNFL Draft GradesDenver Broncos 2019 DraftNFL Draft Grades: Broncos grade out well in 2019 NFL DraftNew,161commentsThe Denver Broncos appear to have nailed the 2019 NFL Draft with back-to-back good drafts now. Here’s how they graded out. NFL Draft Grades: Broncos grade out well in 2019 NFL DraftA year ago, Denver Broncos fans were very pleased with the job John Elway did selecting the teams picks in the 2018 NFL Draft. Many of us thought this was due to the “Gary Kubiak effect”, since Elway has never really done particularly well drafting. Except, now Elway appears to have done it again in the 2019 NFL Draft all on his own. In our own draft grade poll for the 2019 Broncos draft class, over 4300 people submitted their online grade as of this writing. 57% graded the Broncos an ‘A’ and another 35% threw down a ‘B’. That’s a winner. 2019 Broncos Draft ClassRoundPickPlayerPositionSchoolInfoHighlightsRoundPickPlayerPositionSchoolInfoHighlightsNFL Draft GradesSB Nation: A-Reaction: I like Dan Kadar’s stuff, so I would have been troubled had he been troubled by the Broncos draft class. Instead, Kadar sees the Broncos having made one of the smartest moves in the first round this year and picked up a few steals in later rounds. We’ll ignore his comments about Elway’s history of drafting quarterbacks as that sample size is too small. ESPN Mel Kiper: B+Reaction: Kiper’s final sentence is all we need to know about how well Elway navigated this draft. Every report that came out leading up to the NFL Draft suggested Elway was quite enamored with Lock’s potential and ability, which led to mock drafts to heavily favor the Broncos selecting him with the tenth overall pick. Instead, Elway took a chance on Lock falling into the second round. He made a trade to secure an additional second round pick knowing Dalton Risner was a pretty high target on his list at 41. The Broncos ended up with Fant and Risner before they packaged some picks together to get ahead of the Green Bay Packers to select Lock at 42. That was pretty damn impressive if you ask me. Old Elway would have panicked and pulled the trigger much earlier Emmanuel Sanders Jersey , so it is good to see him learning from his past mistakes. NFL.com: AReaction: This post also graded each Day of the draft and the Broncos held steady with an A on all three days. I wasn’t all that pleased with the final day of the draft myself, but if we’re being honest on that it doesn’t really matter. The Oakland Raiders “won Day 3” of the draft, but winning on that day usually means you found some good backups - not elite starters. I’d rather my team win on Days 1 and 2. The Broncos certainly did that.Sports Illustrated: A-Reaction: It would seem Andy Benoit forgot about Ronald Leary when he talked about Risner’s role along the interior of the offensive line, but then again, who knows if Leary will even be starting enough games to matter in 2019. That has been a struggle for him throughout his career. If he can remain healthy, then the Broncos line looks fairly solidified with Risner added into the mix.The addition of Drew Lock should have fans fairly excited. First, they spent very little draft capital on him when considering where most analysts had the Broncos selecting him tenth overall a week ago. If he doesn’t work out, then all the Broncos wasted was a second round pick and time. A lot can happen in the 2020 NFL Draft, so why risk coming out of this without any quarterback of the future to work with?As far as when Lock could start, I wouldn’t expect to see him at all this year unless Joe Flacco turns out to be as bad as or worse than Case Keenum was in 2018.Washington Post: A-Reaction: I love this paragraph. It’s short and nails it. Flacco shouldn’t be worried about the Drew Lock pick at all for the very reason WaPo noted here. The Broncos went all-in on a deep defensive draft class by getting talent the Broncos offense desperately needed to help improve efficiency. Both picks will help Flacco succeed in 2019 and that’s what really matters.USA Today: C+Reaction: One outlet has consistently disliked everything the Broncos did this year. Nate Davis completely ignores the entire class to gut punch Elway for having drafted Paxton Lynch and Brock Osweiler. Because those past decisions will automatically make Drew Lock a wasted NFL talent. Good job, Nate.Bleacher Report: A-Reaction: You are almost certain to win the draft if your team selects what everyone views as surefire starters in the first two rounds. The Broncos did that and by taking a flyer on Lock after he slid into the second round is a low risk, high reward move.

Share: