le, even if theyre reluctant.I want to | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
love520
love520 Dec 26 '17
CHARLESTON, S. Kolten Wong Jersey .C. -- Armel Potter scored 21 points on 8-of-10 shooting and Charleston Southern built a large first half lead and cruised to a 100-53 win over Johnson & Wales (NC) on Saturday night.Potter also finished with a game-high seven assists. Patrick Wallace and Jamar Martin each added 12 points for the Buccaneers (4-4), who shot 57.8 percent from the floor and buried 12 3-pointers.Majerle Poole led the USCAA Independent Wildcats with 15 points, who struggled to just 40.8 percent shooting while committing 19 turnovers as a team.Charleston Southern jumped out to a 16-7 lead within the first four minutes and closed the opening period on a 29-6 run to lead 51-22 at the half. A Martin 3-pointer 45 seconds into the second half pushed the Buccaneers lead past 30 and a Jordan Jones layup stretched it 93-43, the largest lead of the night. Albert Pujols Jersey . -- Vincent Lecavalier got everything but the desired result in his return to Tampa Bay. Roger Maris Jersey . -- Washington Redskins tight end Fred Davis was charged Thursday with driving while intoxicated, a day after he was suspended for an NFL substance-abuse policy violation. http://www.authenticcardinalspro.com/cardinals-mark-mcgwire-jersey/ . Detroit and Boston are deadlocked, 1-1, and Tigers manager Jim Leyland could be forgiven if he was caught rationalizing instead of dissecting how his club could blow a 5-1 lead late in Game 2. PLAYA VISTA, Calif. -- On Saturday, the NBPA held a screening in the weight room of the Los Angeles Clippers practice facility, administering EKGs and blood pressure tests, echocardiograms, a consultation with multiple physicians and cardiologists, and orthopedic evaluations to more than 40 former players.The extensive testing, which can take several weeks to schedule and get results under normal circumstances, lasted roughly an hour-and-a-half to two hours, with results on the spot.The players association had screened more than 100 players heading into Saturday, with previous stops in Houston (the inaugural screening), Detroit, Atlanta, Orlando and Las Vegas. Trips to Dallas and New York are scheduled in the coming weeks.Although the sample size isnt substantive enough to draw serious conclusions -- the NBPA believes it will take at least another year of testing to form takeaways -- the impact of the players association being proactive, not reactive, in assessing disease and illness in retired players has been significant.Every screening weve come to, Ive had several retired players talk to me on the side or email us at the union and say, Thank you for putting this together. We really appreciate it, said Joe Rogowski, the players union director of sports medicine and research. They know that the players union cares for them. Even though theyre not part of the union anymore, the fact that were still looking out for them means a lot to them.Several retirees told ESPN.com that its difficult to deal with the feelings of disconnection and isolation that affect players after their careers are over. Through the outreach to former players and free screenings, some retired players are beginning to feel included again.Sometimes when you retire, you feel like you get kicked to the curb and you dont matter anymore, said Michael Cage, a 15-year NBA veteran who retired in 2000. It can be cruel and a cold feeling. Its like being disconnected from The Matrix. All of this energy is running through your body. Youre feeling vibrant and alive and healthy, and then all of the sudden, the cord gets pulled, and youre on your own.Youve gotta go. Youre not part of The Matrix anymore.Cage, who is currently a broadcast analyst for the Oklahoma City Thunder, flew from Oklahoma City to be screened in Los Angeles. Others traveled from as far as Seattle, Phoenix and San Jose, as well as from all over southern California.After the deaths of Darryl Dawkins and Moses Malone last fall, there has been a heightened awareness around the league and among retired players regarding their post-career health risks, particularly high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, diabetes, heart attacks and strokes.Showing up here today will save some guys lives, Cage said.For Cage, the death of Sean Rooks, who died July 7 because of a heart attack and was nearly a decade younnger than Cage, hit home and shook him enough to be seen. Willie McGee Jersey. hat has certainly been on my mind, Cage said. Ive also looked at the long-term aspects of preventative health care. I like living well. When I played ball, I was known as the Iron man along with A.C. Green. I played in 736 consecutive games.I play basketball two or three times per week at 54. Ive been blessed that I havent had any surgeries or broken bones, but when you look internally into your body, thats a different story. Thats what this is all about. Its to help guys like myself, who want to be told where our health stands and what we can do to improve the quality of our life.According to several physicians on site, there is no concrete evidence that players are at risk after a certain age or at a certain height. Still, its clear that there is some correlation between heart disease and high blood pressure among NBA players, especially African-American players.The African-American population is a little bit higher instance of undetected or higher blood pressure, said Michael Emery, assistant professor of clinical medicine at Indiana University. With a higher prevalence of African-Americans playing basketball and in this cohort, thats something of definite consideration and concern for these athletes.The fact that many of the former players who have died from heart-related diseases were close to 7 feet tall isnt lost on the players, which makes testing and collecting data on as many players as possible so vital.Whats happened as weve seen a large number of our players have died at a young age, its been from heart problems, said Keith Erickson, a 12-year NBA veteran who retired in 1977. But we havent put that together. We havent really figured out that its a problem for taller people. Theyre starting to study that now, and thats part of the reason why theyre doing all this testing.Theyre going to be looking and seeing if they can help us be more aware of that, so that the really tall people make sure they get in here and get tested.Cage, who claims his family is his primary motivation to live longer, has become something of an activist on the issue lately, urging his fellow retirees to be seen by a physician as soon as possible, even if theyre reluctant.I want to encourage guys to go this, Cage said. You dont have to sit at home and suffer. You dont have to feel like no one cares. You dont have to worry about health care. This is a pre-screening where you have real cardiologists, real doctors, real orthopedic surgeons. You can do blood work. Do it. Its free. You dont hear that often when you retire. Its free. Thats one of my favorite words.Information from ESPN Senior Writers J.A. Adande and Jackie MacMullan was used in this report. Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
Share: