m in a positive waym in a positive way | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
123 Jul 17 '19
WASHINGTON -- Colorado Rockies manager Walt Weiss called Michael Cuddyer "one of the better kept secrets in the game. Roger Craig Youth Jersey ." That perception might change soon. Cuddyer homered in his first at-bat to extend the major leagues longest hitting streak this season to 21 games -- and the Rockies hung on to beat the Washington Nationals 7-6 Sunday. Cuddyer went 3 for 4 with four RBIs to break a tie with St. Louis Cardinals third baseman David Freese for the years top streak, and the Rockies right fielder is now just two games shy of matching the franchises best run. Dante Bichette, now the teams hitting coach, had hits in 23 consecutive games in 1995. Cuddyer also extended his Colorado record for consecutive games reaching base to 40. And if all that means he gets more recognition, he wouldnt mind. "After 12 years of being in the big leagues, you dont like to think of yourself as a secret," Cuddyer said with a laugh. Not that he would mind remaining under the radar, either. "He doesnt care about that stuff," Weiss said. "He likes to show up, compete and work on his beard. Thats all that matters to Cuddy." With his wife and son in attendance, Cuddyer, a Virginia native, had an RBI single in Colorados three-run third inning and a two-run single in a three-run fourth, an inning Nolan Arenado led off with a homer. That gave Jorge De La Rosa (8-4) a 7-0 cushion. He allowed seven hits in six innings, trading both his earned runs for outs in the bottom of the fourth. In his shortest start this year aside from a May outing he left early due to lower-back spasms, Ross Detwiler (2-6) allowed a season-high seven earned runs -- three more than any other game. Washington right fielder Jayson Werth started after missing Saturdays game with flu-like symptoms, but he left in the fourth inning following his second hit. Werth stretched his left leg on first base before gesturing to the dugout for a pinch runner. "I think Ill be all right," Werth said. "Groins are pretty straight forward. Ive had a couple of them in the past, but never missed any time, so Im hoping that will be the case." Colorado left fielder Carlos Gonzalez left the game in the middle of the eighth inning with a leg cramp. Washington third baseman Ryan Zimmerman had an RBI infield single in the bottom of the eighth, and a second run scored on the play when Rockies short stop Josh Rutledge booted the ball. Jhonatan Solano pinch hit and lined a two-out, two-run double to centerfield. But Rex Brothers struck out Ian Desmond and threw a perfect ninth, ensuring the Nationals four-run eighth left them still a run short. Brothers fourth save was also Colorados first four-out save of the season. "I try not to show much emotion in there," Weiss said. "But you know that, deep down, youve got to put this game away. Youve got put this game away, because wins are precious in this league, and when you get out to a lead like that, youve got to put it away, because its going to be tough enough to win in this league as it is." If the Rockies were looking for a stabilizing influence during their up-and-down game, Cuddyer sounds as if he could have provided it. "Thats the thing about hitting streaks," Cuddyer said. "The day its over, you go back to being a baseball player." NOTES: Nationals manager Davey Johnson said RHP Dan Haren is headed to the disabled list. Haren, who surrendered six earned runs in 3 1-3 innings Saturday to drop to 4-9 with a 6.15 ERA, said his shoulder has been bothering him his last few starts. "Nothing really major," Haren said. "Nothing I havent pitched through in the past. Im not concerned about it, but they wanted me to take some time to get 100 per cent." He said hell probably have an MRI this week. ... Washington OF Bryce Harper took full on-field batting practice for the first time since going on the disabled list June 1 (left knee bursitis). With fans arriving early to Nationals Park to receive Harper bobbleheads, he sent multiple pitches over the outfield wall. Before the game, Harper tweeted, "Well that felt unreal! .BP .Lovethefans." Arenado has missed only one game since the Rockies called him up from Triple-A Colorado Springs in late April, and Weiss said its difficult to find days off for the rookie. "Hes wound too tight," Weiss said. "He doesnt like to sit over here for nine innings." ... Weiss said he planned days in advance to give Todd Helton both Saturday and Sunday off. The Rockies dont play Monday, so the first baseman will get three straight days of rest. ... Colorado RHP Juan Nicasio (4-3, 4.78) will face Boston Red Sox RHP Ryan Dempster (4-8, 4.23) on Tuesday. ... Nationals LHP Gio Gonzalez (3-3, 3.34) will face Arizona Diamondbacks RHP Trevor Cahill (3-8, 3.92) on Tuesday. ... Rapper Wale, a D.C. native, threw out the ceremonial first pitch. Kwon Alexander Jersey . The news was first reported on Gonzalezs Twitter account and confirmed by the Rockies. Gonzalez has a six-week window before position players have their first workout at spring training in Arizona. Dwight Clark 49ers Jersey . PETERSBURG, Fla. http:///...oppolo-49ers-Jersey/ . After a first half in which he thought "the lid was on the basket," the Toronto Raptors coach watched his squad mount a second half surge to defeat the Cleveland Cavaliers 98-91. I have so many great memories of Tim Duncan. I called a number of his games at Wake Forest, and I was so impressed with him from the first time I laid eyes on him.Duncan has decided to retire after 19 incredible years with the San Antonio Spurs.When he went to Wake Forest, he was not a McDonalds All American. Coach Dave Odom saw potential in the player later known as The Big Fundamental. Duncan was a swimmer from the Virgin Islands at the time, and he took coaching to heart.Duncan responded to teaching and worked so hard to improve his game. The staff at Wake Forest did a great job with him. It did not happen overnight.As a freshman, he averaged fewer than 10 points per game. Then he was a double-double machine over his last three seasons, including 20.8 ppg. and 14.7 rebounds per game as a senior.Duncan was a warrior on both ends of the court. In my estimation, he became the best power forward in the history of the game. He was supper, scintillating and sensational. Solomon Thomas Jersey. I love stories of athletes who came out of nowhere. He wasnt told at age 14 or 15 that he was the greatest player. He went into the gym and busted his gut, worked out, developed his body and his skills.The result was superstardom.Think about his career in San Antonio. Beside all of the personal accolades, he won five NBA titles and did it within the team concept. Gregg Popovich got the most out of him in a positive way, both offensively and defensively.It is great to see a guy with his class and stature go out with greatness.The VBDI (Vitale Bald Dome Index) says he is the greatest power forward in NBA history. He had a great, great career. I remember when it all started at Wake Forest. I watched hm grow into a great player.Congrats on a hall of fame career. ' ' ' 
Share: