nk having done it and look | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
love520
love520 Mar 13 '19
PHILADELPHIA -- After making 29 saves and picking up his first NHL victory, Anthony Stolarz said he never gave much thought about becoming the first New Jersey native to tend goal in the NHL. Andrej Sekera Jersey .What Ill remember most is winning, Stolarz said after Philadelphia Flyers 5-3 victory over the Calgary Flames on Sunday night. Being able to win your first start is huge for me and my confidence.The 22-year-old native of Edison was backed up by goals from Michael Raffl, Jakub Voracek, Chris VandeVelde, Wayne Simmonds and Roman Lyubimov. The Flyers snapped a two-game losing streak to improve to 10-10-3.T.J. Brodie, Matthew Tkachuk and Alex Chiasson scored for the Flames. They are 10-13-1 overall, and 3-2-0 on a six-game trip that will end Monday night against the New York Islanders.Its the worst we played from the start all season, Flames coach Glen Gulutzan said. I give them credit, too. They outworked us, they outplayed us, they were hungrier in all areas and they outpaced us. Were sitting where we should be on this road trip.Stolarz was drafted by the Flyers in the second round in 2012 and had been recalled six other times before making his NHL debut as the tallest goalie (6-foot-6) in Flyers history. He said more than 30 family and friends made the 60-mile drive to see his first NHL game.Stolarz allowed a short-handed goal on the second shot he faced, but stopped the next 23 shots and saw the Flyers take a 4-1 lead into the third period.I didnt want to give up that first goal, but it happens, he said. I guess it was good to get it out of the way early. I calmed down a little bit and the jitters went away and I was just able to go out and play.The Flames grabbed an early lead when Brodie lifted a short-handed backhander under Stolarzs catching arm for his first goal of the season. It was Calgarys league-leading fourth short-handed goal.The Flyers tied it at 17:42 when Voracek swung around the back of the net and fed Raffl for his fourth goal of the season. Voracek gave the Flyers their first lead of the game 52 seconds into the second period with his first power-play goal. Voraceks intended pass for Wayne Simmonds deflected off Flames defenseman Mark Giordano and over Johnson for his eighth goal of the season.The Flyers made it 4-1 on goals by VandeVelde and Simmonds 24 seconds apart. VandeVelde parked in the slot and redirected a pass from Lyubimov past Johnson for his fourth goal of the season. Shortly after the ensuing faceoff, Simmonds broke away from the Calgary defense and put a backhander past Johnson for his team-high 11th goal.The most disappointing part of tonight is we got out of the first and they came out in the second and scored a bunch of goals in a short amount of time, Giordano said.Its a disappointing loss, but we have back-to-back games and weve got to finish this trip off on the right note. If we win tomorrow (in New York) its a 4-2 trip and thats a good trip.The Flames drew to 4-2 8:05 into final period on Tkachuks sixth goal of the season, but Lyubimov restored the Flyers three-goal lead with his fourth goal of the season off a Michael Del Zotto rebound.Chiasson scored the Flames second short-handed goal of the night with 1:50 remaining.To be honest, I think (the Flames) were a little bit tired and we took advantage of it, Voracek said. (Stolarz) made a key save in the second period when it was 2-1. It was good to see him get his first win.Gulutzan, whose team played its fifth game in eight nights, said there are no excuses for his players performance.Theres no system for being outworked, he said.Game notes Flyers C Claude Giroux moved into 10th on the Flyers all-time scoring list with his 536th point, an assist on a second-period goal by Voracek. . Flyers D Brandon Manning sat out with an undisclosed injury and was replaced by Michael Del Zotto. ... Flames RW Kris Versteeg returned to the lineup after missing 10 of the previous 11 games.UP NEXTFlyers: Host Boston on Tuesday night.Flames: Visit the New York Islanders on Monday night. Connor McDavid Jersey . Newcastle dominated in the early stages but City weathered the storm and then raised its game in extra time. Negredo broke the deadlock from close range after a simple move in the 99th minute before Dzeko took the ball round goalkeeper Tim Krul to seal the victory in the 105th. Leon Draisaitl Jersey . Woodson said during a radio interview Thursday that the Knicks Carmelo Anthony doesnt get the same calls as other superstars. http:///...se-puljujarvi-jersey . Pierce was ejected in the third quarter of Indianas 103-86 win Monday. George Hill stole a bad pass and was going in for a layup, and Pierce hustled back and appeared to be trying to wrap him up. NEW YORK -- Americas pastime might be poised to make its strongest push toward establishing a footprint in the United Kingdom.Major League Baseball is discussing playing a two-game series in London in 2018, and the news was met with excitement by members of the Great Britain team competing in this weeks World Baseball Classic qualifier in Brooklyn.British manager Liam Carroll is strongly hoping the plan comes to fruition, and he believes such an event could be a significant step in raising the profile of the sport in the UK.It would be amazing, Carroll said. Its something were really hoping for. There had been rumors that it would happen as soon as 2017. Then [the story] kind of went cold. So to see the story of the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, coming out to New York and meeting with MLB has got us really excited for that again.Khan threw out the ceremonial first pitch at a New York Mets game on Sunday, and the Evening Standard reported that he met with MLB commissioner Rob Manfred to discuss bringing major league games to London in 2018.?Im keen to make London the sporting capital of the world, Khan told the Standard. Ive been really encouraged by my discussions with the MLB. Ive told them there are huge baseball fans in London, all around the UK and in Europe.Carroll said he has heard soccer stadiums discussed as possible host venues, but its his understanding that the renovated Olympic Stadium is the likely destination. He estimates that venue could accommodate about 50,000 spectators when configured for baseball.Longtime MLB relief pitcher Trevor Hoffman, who serves as bullpen coach for the British WBC team, sees MLB games in the UK as a logical step toward expanding baseball awareness abroad.I think it would be great, Hoffman said. I know Liam and the staff has put in a lot of time to try and develop the grass roots and bring baseball to the forefront as a sport. Its something thats going to ttake time, but I think it would be great to go over to Europe and show off the game of baseball. Ty Rattie Jersey. Hall of Fame shortstop Barry Larkin, who is managing the Brazilian team at the WBC qualifier, echoes the sentiments about growing the game but said the process of playing abroad is a difficult one for athletes who already play a 162-game schedule in a 181-day window.I think it would be fantastic in terms of growing the game internationally, Larkin said. But logistically, thats a long, long way to go to play some baseball games.Larkin said the most realistic scenario would be similar to what MLB did when it opened the 2014 regular season in Sydney, Australia. That year, the Arizona Diamondbacks and Los Angeles Dodgers were given several days off before and after playing two games abroad. Both teams then resumed the regular season a week later after several exhibition games.As a member of the San Diego Padres, Hoffman played regular-season games in Monterrey, Mexico, in 1996 and 1998, and in Hawaii in 1997. He was also with the Padres when they played an exhibition series in China in 2008. He understands the difficulties involved in holding such events but believes the benefits far outweigh the negatives.I think you have to have that growth mentality, Hoffman said. You re growing the game in different parts of the world. I understand it does conflict with some guys routines, but I think having done it and looked back, its the opportunity of a lifetime.Ultimately, if the myriad details can be worked out, MLB games in London would signify a landmark event in the mind of Great Britain second baseman Richard Klijn, who grew up in Cark, Cumbria.That would be something for English people to really think baseball is more than just a hobby, Klijn said. It would be huge. ' ' ' 
Share: