Blake Bortles is your quarterback | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
chenyan94
chenyan94 Dec 12 '18

Youth Ronnie Harrison Jersey , deal with it The Jacksonville Jaguars and NFL social media stratospheres are once again up in arms about the play of quarterback Blake Bortles, following the starters beating half of the NFC playoff teams from 2017 in the New Orleans Saints, Minnesota Vikings, and Atlanta Falcons a combined score of 24-9 over a three preseason game period in which the opposing team’s starters played.Go ahead and read that again. I’ll wait...Last season’s en vogue targeting of Bortles by national media pundits and Twitter “experts” has returned for the 2018 season, following two performances from the quarterback that weren’t aesthetically pleasing enough to appease many who judge such things on social media and television. Despite the fact that the Jaguars offense outperformed their counterparts when on the field, which included offenses led by much fawned over quarterback Kirk Cousins and former league MVP Matt Ryan, the proverbial claws are now out for Bortles and his perceived terrible play that is “holding the team back from a Super Bowl” on August 26th.Meanwhile, a look around the league will find that the amount of anticipated starters at quarterback playing at a high, playoff-worthy level, is almost non-existent. Don’t let that stop you from becoming a part of the national narrative though, that Blake Bortles is the only struggling quarterback in the league and a detriment to his team’s success. Nevermind the fact that the last time we saw Bortles play meaningful football, it was in late January with his team within a blown 3rd-and-18 coverage and a bad call by the referees on Myles Jack, from taking this same team to the franchise’s first ever Super Bowl.This is not to say Bortles’ play has been spectacular (it hasn’t) but the outright hand wringing and angst by this team’s fan base on social media and further fueled by national media “analysts” who would prefer a public vasectomy to being proven wrong on a previously tweeted scouting of a player is just moronic.The calls for Cody Kessler to start are moronic.The calls for trading draft picks this team will need to replenish an expensive roster next season and beyond for a third-string quarterback in Teddy Bridgewater? Downright idiotic.And no, the team is not going to call upon the services of Colin Kaepernick.There are many opinions on social media and NFL opinion sites this morning on Bortles’ play Black A. J. Cann Jersey , and there will undoubtedly be more as we now await the start of actual games over the next two weeks leading up to September 9th. There is only one fact among all the white noise however — and that is that Blake Bortles is our quarterback and he is the best quarterback for the Jaguars in 2018. No amount of tweets is going to change that. As the Jacksonville Jaguars get ready to take on the Kansas City Chiefs, let’s take a look back at how they got here.We’ll be grading the offense and defense separately through the week and up first — the offense!Alfie Crow (@AlfieBCC)The Jaguars offense has been an up and down affair and has been missing some pieces, but through the first four games of the season I think it’s been OK. The Titans always give the Jaguars offense fits, because they play a type of game that drags teams down into the mud and fights them. To beat that, you need consistency at quarterback and well... That’s just not Blake. Conversely, the Jaguars have had two games where their offense was just straight up electric. I think the truth is somewhere between the Jets game and the Giants game, but overall it’s been pretty solid and the offensive line, even with the injuries, has been fantastic.Grade: BRyan Day (@ryaneatscake)The offense runs through the quarterback no matter what the team tries to do in the run game. Leonard Fournette has missed a little more than three games of total playing time, leaving before halftime in Weeks 1 and 4 and missing the two games in between entirely. As Blake Bortles goes, so does this offense, which has looked good two weeks, meh one week, and awful another. That’s good enough to get to 3-1 but it’ll need some consistency as we go into the second quarter of the year. I’ve got them between a C+ and a B- and I’ll give them the edge because they beat Tom Brady and that was fun to watch.Grade: B-Jon Kirland (@BCBCouch)The offensive line has been solid and on pace to allow only 24 sacks this season. T.J. Yeldon has been better than expected Womens Calais Campbell Jersey , when healthy, in filling in for Leonard Fournette, the young receiver trio is coming along, and the unsung hero in my opinion has been Austin Seferian-Jenkins, who has become a younger Marcedes Lewis, somewhat unexpectedly. Bortles has really only had one awful game (Tennessee), one average at best game (Giants), and two jaw-dropping games (Patriots and Jets). In my opinion, two solid A games boost them up, but an F versus the Titans that may haunt them in December, drags them down here.Grade: C+Ryan O’Bleness (@ryanobleness)The offense has had two very strong games and two games that left a lot to be desired. The offensive explosions against the New York Jets and New England Patriots were a lot of fun to watch, and I think it makes it obvious that the success of the offense hinges on the play of Blake Bortles — especially with Leonard Fournette sidelined. T.J. Yeldon has stepped up and done an admiral job filling in for Fournette, but I still think the offense is much stronger with a fully healthy Fournette in the backfield. The problem is that the offense will remain as inconsistent as Bortles plays. That said, this team could be unstoppable if Bortles is able to put it all together throughout the season like he did this past Sunday. Grade: BBrian Fullford (@iambwf)I may be a bit more optimistic than my fellow writers. Two games at “A” Authentic Leonard Fournette Jersey , one at “F”, and one at “C” quality do not tell the whole story. Amidst injuries the offensive line has protected Blake and opened running lanes. The receiving corps has looked young but are making big plays. Leonard Fournette’s injury exploits a depth problem at running back, but T.J. Yeldon has stepped up as a multi-dimensional asset. Blake is Blake, and we’ll rise and fall on his confidence waves all season. Still, he’s climbing the pocket and making the throws with greater consistency earlier in the season than we have seen in the past.They key for me is the ability of the coaches to adapt to personnel and competition, and for the most part they have optimized what they have. They are letting Blake throw the ball more, which surely helps a Yeldon in the running game.All that said, the inability to beat the Titans is inexcusable and it’s only for my mercy that this isn’t a “C-”. On top of that, seven turnovers isn’t a confidence boost. This unit must string together some consistency.Grade: C+Filip Prus (@JaxonFil)The Jaguars offense has been hot and cold throughout the first four weeks of the season. On any given week, Blake Bortles has struggled to hit an open receiver from six yards out to surpassing a career high in passing yards to not being able. It may be a little unfair due to their franchise fulcrum Leonard Fournette not being available, but his absence has allowed Nathaniel Hackett to flourish for three out of the four games with out-of-the-box play calling and high percentage route running to manufacture the run game with screens and crossers. Statistically, they currently rank 15th in yards per game and are tied for the fifth-most giveaways with seven.Grade: C+

Share: