Pace modem ethernet issue | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
Kevin crowe
Kevin crowe Jun 12 '18
Hello,

So I've just gotten linked up with fiber internet here in SF, and was given a Pace 5268ac modem by Sonic during the install process. I was originally planning on continuing to use my Airport Extreme and Express for WiFi coverage in the house, and just using the modem as a modem (using bridge mode I think?), but after seeing the great speeds using 802.11ac, I'm thinking of keeping the Pace WiFi turned on, and maybe just using an express or something in the further away room. The issue I'm running into, however, is with the wired ethernet. I used to have my Comcast cable modem feed into my Airport, which then went into a 10 port netgear switch that feeds all the ethernet ports in the different rooms (iMac and Apple TV, and an xbox all using different ethernet ports). From what I understand, the switch is "dumb" and can't assign IPs, so I needs a router in front of it. I though I could have the Pace do it's WiFi thing, and also run an ethernet cable from one of the four back ethernet ports and plug it into the netgear switch that would then feed all the wall plugs in the house for my other devices, but the Pace fails to work using the hardline ethernet ports in the back. I even tried to connect straight from one of the back ports of the Pace into my iMac, and was unable to get a connection using the hard line. The back of the port lights up when connected, but the computer fails to see any connection. Only WiFi works. What gives?

Please help
I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:

https://forums.sonic.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3461

Digital video content production studio

Thank you

The Forum post is edited by Kevin crowe Jun 12 '18
Share: