accomplishments speak for themselves | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
miaowang123
miaowang123 Sep 28 '17
DENVER -- Away from home, the New York Islanders have been tough to beat lately. Eric Weddle Jersey . Michael Grabner knocked in a shot from the slot at 1:46 of overtime, giving the Islanders a 2-1 win over the Colorado Avalanche on Friday night. It was the sixth road win in a row for the Islanders, who forced overtime when Brock Nelsons goal early in the third period evened the score. "Weve been a decent road team," Islanders coach Jack Capuano said. "Simple hockey maybe, and doing the right things. Goaltending has been pretty good for us. Our special teams on the road over the last two weeks has been good." Brian Strait helped set up the winner with a pass to Grabner in the Avalanche zone. Grabner skated across the slot, appearing momentarily to lose control of the puck, before getting hold of it with his stick and circling back to unleash the shot from between the circles. He got enough on it to get it past Semyon Varlamov. "The puck bounced a little bit," Grabner said. "I dont know if my stick got caught on the boards or the ref there, I almost lost it and couldnt control the puck, but I got it back in the corner. The guys opened up some room by driving to the net and I got a chance to shoot from the hash marks." Kevin Poulin, who had 30 saves, won his fourth straight decision and improved to 5-1 in his last six games. He credited the recent road success to the teams increasing rapport with one another. "Earlier in the season, we didnt have the groove on the road," Poulin said. "As the season goes on, you create chemistry. I thought weve played really well defensively the last three or four games." Despite the loss, the Avalanche finished their season-high seven-game homestand with a 4-1-2 record for the second-best points percentage (.714) during a homestand of at least seven games in franchise history. The Avalanche finished a nine-game homestand 6-2-1 (.722) from Feb. 9-March 9, 2002. "You wanted to pick up as many points as possible and I think 10 out of 14 is pretty good," Avalanche coach Patrick Roy said. "It was a hard-fought game. Unfortunately, we were on the wrong side of the game but I thought we did a lot of good things out there. We battled and defensively we played well. We didnt give them too many chances." Nathan MacKinnon, who leads all NHL rookies in points, broke a scoreless tie at 18:15 of the second period. He gathered in an outlet pass from Andre Benoit just past the red line and dashed down centre ice, blowing past defenceman Matt Donovan in a stunning show of speed before lifting a wrist shot over the left leg of Poulin as the goalie lay sprawled in front of the net. It was the 15th goal of the season for MacKinnon, who has 29 points in 44 games. The Islanders evened the score 4 1/2 minutes into the third, when Nelson got off a shot in the slot that got past Varlamov. It was Nelsons fifth goal of the season. NOTES: The Avalanche and Islanders met for the first time since Nov. 10, 2011, when Colorado won 4-3 in overtime. ... The Islanders are 16-4-2 when they score at least three goals and 1-18-5 when theyre below that threshold. ... Frans Nielsen played in his team-leading 175th consecutive game for the Islanders. ... The Avalanche head to Minnesota to play the second game of a back-to-back set on Saturday. It is the fifth of 10 back-to-back sets for the Avalanche this season. ... Jamie McGinn of the Avalanche scored his 100th career point with an assist on MacKinnons goal. Justin Tucker Jersey . 2015 Oscar nomination pending. Here is an open letter from Steven Stamkos to his fans: When I shot this final Moment Zero film last August, it was a fun few days on set with Coke Zero and Jordan Eberle in my hometown of Markham. Tavon Young Jersey .S. Olympic hockey management team have been making what he called "ghost rosters" since August. CHICAGO -- Paul Konerko, the veteran slugger and team captain who didnt want his career to end on such a sour note, is returning to the Chicago White Sox for another season. The team announced Wednesday that the six-time American League All-Star agreed to a one-year, $2.5 million contract, opting to come back rather than retire or sign elsewhere. The 37-year-old Konerko will receive $1.5 million in 2014 and $1 million in 2021 under the deal. He will also be paid $1 million annually from 2014 to 2020 under the contract he signed in December 2010. The White Sox won just 63 games last season after finishing second in the AL Central the previous year, and Konerko struggled in a big way. He dealt with a back issue and batted .244 with just 12 homers and 54 RBIs. Even so, the White Sox had said they would have a spot for Konerko if he wanted to return, and hes coming back in a more limited role. "I was really planning on last year being it for me -- having a good year, solid year, team doing at least good if not better and then saying, OK, thats it," Konerko said. "Everything went to shambles. Every single direction you could equate something last year, it was a disaster. To have the opportunity to come back in a lesser role, Im kind of a good employee to have because I have no future, no agenda." The White Sox arent necessarily counting on him to regain the form that made that made him one of the most successful sluggers in franchise history. They see him as a clubhouse leader and a mentor for newcomer Jose Abreu, the Cuban slugger they signed in October. Konerko, who in 15 seasons with the White Sox ranks second on the franchise list to Frank Thomas in homers and RBIs, will back up Abreu at first base and see time at designated hitter along with Adam Dunn. "Even though its somewhat of a reduced role, he can be just as productive throughout our clubhouse not playing as much because he can use a little bit more energy in (serving as a mentor)," manager Robin Ventura said. "Thats something that seems to excite him right now, to be able to be that guy." Konerko said he had started to come to terms last season with the fact that he would be in a reduced role if he played another year. That thoought was reinforced through discussions with other teams and he figured the White Sox were probably thinking the same way. Maxx Williams Jersey. They let him know in November that he would be in more of a backup -- and mentorship -- role if he came back. General manager Rick Hahn said they didnt spend much time discussing money when they met last month. Talks heated up over the past week or so, and Konerko informed the White Sox on Tuesday that he would return. "A large part of the role and what we spent a lot of time talking to Paulie about is just his presence in the clubhouse, and being able to continue to mentor some of our young players as we transition this roster over the next several months," Hahn said. Konerko said he talked to former teammate Jim Thome about playing in a reduced role. He also discussed the situation with Dunn, who could wind up with fewer at-bats particularly against left-handers. "I had to really step back and analyze where Im at as a player and all that," Konerko said. "Part of that is to look in the mirror and say, You know what? To go out and play 130 to 150 games, I couldnt sign up for something like that because I think if I did, Id be promising something I dont know if I could deliver on." A .281 hitter over 17 major league seasons, Konerko was acquired from Cincinnati in November 1998. He has hit all but seven of his 434 homers with the White Sox, and he helped them win the World Series championship in 2005 -- the franchises first since 1917. One of the enduring images of that run is Konerko handing the ball from the final out to team Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf at the parade. "Paul Konerko has been the constant face of the White Sox organization and the heart of our clubhouse over the past 15 seasons," Reinsdorf said in a statement. "He certainly earned the right to make this decision on his own, and we are very pleased that he has decided to return for another season. While the accomplishments speak for themselves -- six All-Star Games, a World Series title, 427 home runs with the White Sox -- anyone who is in our clubhouse day-in and day-out knows the value Paul brings to our franchise as a leader, as a teammate, as a mentor and as our captain." Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
Share: