Cup was the one m Cup was the one m | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
123 Nov 14 '19
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia -- The Ethiopian marathon runner who made an anti-government gesture at the Rio Games while approaching the finish line will not face prosecution upon his return home and will have a heroic welcome, a government spokesman said Monday. Don Sutton Dodgers Jersey .Feyisa Lilesa told reporters Sunday that he could be killed or imprisoned if he ever goes back to the East African country. He called protesting inside Ethiopia very dangerous.The silver medalist crossed his wrists in an attempt to draw global attention to deadly protests in his home region of Oromia. He told reporters that Ethiopias government is killing his people.Oromo is my tribe, he said. My relatives are in prison, and if they talk about democratic rights, they are killed.The crossed-wrists gesture has been widely used by anti-government protesters in recent nationwide demonstrations as a sign of peaceful resistance and before that by the Muslim community when it revolted against the Ethiopian government.Lilesa will not face any problems for his political stance, government spokesman Getachew Reda told the state-affiliated Fana Broadcasting Corporate. After all, this is an athlete who secured a silver medal for his country.It was not immediately clear whether Lilesa plans to return. He told reporters he would discuss the issue with family and friends.Ethiopia state broadcaster EBC did not re-broadcast images of Lilesas gesture. Some people who were watching live and cheering for Lilesa quickly hushed when they saw his gesture.The Oromo are Ethiopias largest ethnic group, with about 40 million people. Their region has seen massive anti-government protests since November that activists say have left more than 400 dead.The protests were ignited by the governments decision to annex some Oromia land into the capital, Addis Ababa. The plan has been abandoned, but demonstrations calling for wider freedoms have continued.Ethiopias government, a close security ally of the West, is often accused of silencing dissent, including blocking internet access at times.?Earlier this month, video obtained by The Associated Press showed Ethiopian security forces beating, kicking and dragging several protesters during a rare demonstration in the capital. Chase Utley Jersey .J. -- Seven games into a disappointing season, New York Giants defensive catalyst Jason Pierre-Paul is getting the feeling hes back. Eddie Murray Dodgers Jersey .J. -- Marshawn Lynch said Thursday it will be good to get back to football after the Seattle quiet talking running back wrapped up his final mandatory media session of Super Bowl week. https:///...-jersey-dodgers.html .Y. -- Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone has drawn on his Syracuse connections once again by hiring Rob Moore to take over as receivers coach.CHICAGO -- Patrick Kane has scored bigger goals in his NHL career. Winning the Stanley Cup in overtime sets the bar awfully high. By scoring twice in Game 5 of this years final, all Kane did was put the Chicago Blackhawks within one victory of their second championship in four years with Saturdays 3-1 victory over the Boston Bruins. "I think everyone wants to be that guy in big-time games," Kane said. "Ive been lucky enough in a couple to step up." Kane stepping up in Game 5 couldnt have happened at a better time for the Blackhawks, as captain Jonathan Toews left with an unspecified injury. The series took a turn with Toews departure and an injury to Patrice Bergeron that forced the Bruins centre to be taken to a local hospital for observation. With arguably the two best skaters out, it was Kanes opportunity to shine. He did so with his second multi-goal game of these playoffs and furthered his status as a clutch performer. "I dont think this game had to happen to define Kaner as a big-time player," Chicago left-winger Patrick Sharp said. "Hes had plenty of opportunities, and he showed up in big games with big performances. I knew he was a big time player before tonight." Kane took over the game like few players can. When he had open ice, he wanted the puck on his stick and always was a threat to score. When Johnny Oduyas shot broke Dennis Seidenbergs stick on the way to the net, Kane was there to put in the rebound to open the scoring. Crashing the net in the second put him in the perfect spot to beat goaltender Tuukka Rask after a heads-up play by linemate Bryan Bickell. "Sometimes you catch some breaks," Kane said. "I think I was in the right spot at the right time tonight on both goals. I thought I had some other chances, too, I could have scored. But I think playing with Johnny and Bicks, they create a lot of space, and Ive been taking advantage of the space they do make." Toews was a focus for the Bruins, who hit him at every opportunity. Boston defenceman Johnny Boychuk appeared to hit him in the head in the second period, though Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said he wasnt sure if that was what caused Toews injury. Carl Crawford Dodgers Jersey. With Chicago clawing to a third-period lead that Bruins captain Zdeno Chara cut in half with his first goal of the final, Toews sat on the bench but did not take a shift. He wanted to play, according to Quenneville, who said he was hopeful that Toews would return for Game 6 Monday night at TD Garden. Quenneville called Toews day-to-day with an upper-body injury. The 25-year-old centre did not speak to reporters but seemed to be in good spirits as he signed autographs and talked to friends on his way out of the arena. For the final stretch of Game 5 Saturday night, all he could do was provide some moral support. "He was there to chatter a little bit on the bench and keep us into it," Sharp said. "Hes part of the team, obviously, and it was great to have everybody together." Bergeron couldnt even do that. He was taken by ambulance to a local hospital for observation, the team announced. Bruins coach Claude Julien did not have an update after the game and bristled at questions about the injury. "Not much I can say on his situation," Julien said. "Its just an injury that wasnt able to let him finish the game. He may be in next game." A source with direct knowledge of Bergerons injury called his trip to the hospital "precautionary." He reportedly walked to the ambulance under his own power. If Toews and Bergeron cannot play in Game 6, the complexion of the series changes. "That kind of evens itself out if thats the case," Julien said. "But theres still a lot of good players on both teams that can certainly make things happen." Kane is chief among them. The man whose overtime winner against the Philadelphia Flyers gave the Blackhawks the 2010 Stanley Cup was the one most responsible for getting his team back in the same spot three years later. "I think its exciting to be back in that situation again," Kane said. "This is what you work for all year, all summer, when youre training throughout the year at training camp, whatever it may be. This is what you work for, this opportunity. Weve got to seize the moment and take advantage of it." ' ' ' 
Share: