s and local police outside the Bernabeu, and a few officers sustains and local police outside the Bernabeu, and a few officers sustain | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
123 Oct 9 '19
RIO DE JANEIRO -- Chris Froome said he had no regrets so often, as he contemplated his bronze-medal finish in the Olympic cycling time trial, it was as if he was trying to convince himself. Wholesale China Jerseys .Not long before, a couple of hundred meters from the finish line, he had shaken his head and looked the picture of disappointment.But it was hard not to admire Froome for his determination to present a brave face after an achievement that would have made most ordinary athletes ecstatic. He even disputed the claim from British Cycling programmes director Andy Harrison that Froome had been suffering from a tight chest.I gave it everything I had, the three-time Tour de France winner said. I was absolutely dead by the finish line. [Winner] Fabian Cancellara was clearly the strongest guy on the road, so congratulations to him.At the end of the day, its been an amazing summer. I wanted to come here and try to back it up. A second medal is pretty special.Froome, 31, took bronze in this event in London four years ago, when British compatriot Bradley Wiggins was the gold-medal winner.The more colourful of the two characters sat on a throne at Hampton Court Palace to celebrate finishing first then, but that sort of thing wouldnt have been Froomes style whatever had happened on Wednesday.He is a quietly spoken, reserved type of guy, the sort of character who thanks his family for hanging in there with him during the time he has spent away, committed to his sport, an athlete who planned to rise early a day after the time trial to fit in a five- or six-hour training ride before leaving Brazil.I want to keep the body ticking over. I have not done any big training rides since I left the Tour, Froome explained.If there was a criticism that could be levelled at the British rider, it was that he spread himself too thinly at these Games. Froome gave his all in the road race last Saturday, and even when it looked like he would come up short, he refused to relax in the saddle.He knew beforehand, too, that the hilly course would make it tough for him to win, and the time trial had seemed the better bet anyway, given how well he had performed in the equivalent Tour stage.Whether it was overconfidence, a sense of duty or his competitive spirit -- another of his admirable qualities -- it wasnt the smartest approach.[There were only] three days between the road race and time trial, Froome said after finishing 1 minute, 2.12 seconds behind Cancellara. I gave it everything in the road, I emptied myself there -- both events. Its not in my nature to try and sit up. I was here to give it everything.Froome proved with his effort how highly he values the Olympics, but as is also the case for golfers and tennis players, the Games do not offer the biggest prize in his sport.The top target for road cyclists, nearly every time, will be the Tour de France, and Cancellara, who pulled out of that early this year to focus on the Olympics, was an exception who proved the rule.Did that give the Swiss a crucial advantage? Potentially, it could have, Froome said. He was stronger than everybody else. Even in the road race, he was going really well. Tom Dumoulin [who took silver], potentially, he dropped out of the Tour with injury. He bounced back pretty well.Its one of the challenges in the cycling world. Given how big the Tour is, that has to stay my No. 1 priority for now.It has been an amazing season, to have won the Tour for a third time, and still come here and medal.Froomes asthma may also have handed his rivals an advantage, with Harrison hinting he had been struggling with a related problem for several days in the buildup to the race.Froome, however, refused to give any excuses for missing out on a hoped-for gold. Its been fine the last few days, he insisted.Hopefully, Ive got another Olympics in me. I know some people may see a bronze as a disappointment, but Im extremely happy to have medalled again.The time for Froome to mentally move on, once his role as a competitor in the Games ended, came pretty quickly. Processing any disappointment as fast as he appeared to left absolutely no room for regrets. Luckily, as he said, he didnt have any. Cheap Nike Jerseys . 9. Price, heading to the 2014 Olympics for Canada, was named the First Star after posting wins in three starts with a 1.00 goals-against average and a .971 save percentage. Black Friday Jerseys . Andreas Johnson had a goal and two assists while Jacob de la Rose also scored for Sweden (2-0-0). Esa Lindell and Rasmus Ristolainen replied for Finland (1-1-0) Lindell opened the scoring for Finland just 41 seconds into the game, but the hosts quickly regained their composure and tied the score less than four minutes later on Wennbergs first of the game. https://www.fakejerseyswholesale.com/ .C. -- Chris Thorburn thinks one of the reasons the Winnipeg Jets have been successful under new coach Paul Maurice is that theyre playing together as a team. MADRID -- Cristiano Ronaldo was kept waiting for his 100th career goal in European club competitions as Real Madrid swept to a 5-1 victory over Legia Warsaw in the Champions League on Tuesday.Gareth Bale opened the scoring with his first goal in the Champions League since December 2014. An own-goal by Tomasz Jodlowiec, followed by further strikes from Marco Asensio, Lucas Vazquez and Alvaro Morata, then sealed an emphatic victory for the holders.The win at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium allowed Madrid to keep pace in Group F with Borussia Dortmund, which held on for a 2-1 win at Sporting Lisbon. Madrid and Dortmund have seven points each after three matches, with Sporting staying on three points and Legia with zero.Ronaldo remains two short of 100 career goals in Europe. He had scored six goals in his previous three matches, including five for Portugal in World Cup qualifying, but the forward failed to find the net on Tuesday despite a few good scoring chances.We always want Cristiano to score goals, Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane said. But he did well and created a lot of chances. He scored on Saturday and hopefully he will score again in the next match.Ronaldos best opportunities came late, first with low shot that missed the far corner in the 83rd minute and then with a close-range strike that was saved in the 88th.There was no specific strategy for Ronaldo, Legia coach Jacek Magiera said. He is a very good player but we contained him well. Our defenders did well, we conceded five goals but we didnt allow him to score, which is positive.Ronaldo had been crucial when Madrid rallied late to beat Sporting in its last home gamee in the Champions League. Cyber Monday Jerseys. Against Legia, Madrid looked vulnerable in defense during the early stages, but stayed mostly in control despite conceding a penalty that cut the teams lead to 2-1 in the 22nd minute.We took some risks by playing with a very offensive scheme, Zidane said. It was expected that defensively we would have more difficulties, but we created a lot of chances on offense and thats what we wanted.Bale had opened the scoring with a cross shot into the far corner from inside the area in the 16th, and Madrid quickly added to the lead when a shot by Marcelo deflected off defender Jodlowiec and into the net in the 20th.Miroslav Radovic converted the penalty for Legia after being fouled by Madrid defender Danilo, but Asensio restored Madrids two-goal advantage after a short pass by Ronaldo in the 37th.That 5-1 was too harsh a scoreline, Magiera said. Had we scored twice and they scored four it might have been fair.Madrids substitutes increased its lead in the second half, with Vazquez scoring in the 68th and Morata, set up by a pass by Ronaldo, in the 84th.Madrid was without defender Sergio Ramos and midfielders Luka Modric and Casemiro because of injuries.Before the game, there were a few confrontations between Legia fans and local police outside the Bernabeu, and a few officers sustained minor injuries. There were no incidents reported during the game.---Tales Azzoni on Twitter: http://twitter.com/tazzoni. His work can be found at http://bigstory.ap.org/content/tales-azzoni ' ' ' headed wide of Bravos goal.Fuenzalida pulled one back three minutes into stoppage time, heading home a free-kick, but Argentina held on for victory.In the other game in Group D on Monday, Blas Perez scored twice as Panama beat Bolivia 2-1 in Orlando. Argentina meet Panama in their next fixture in Chicago on Friday, with Chile taking on Bolivia in Foxborough earlier in the day.Watch Copa America matches live on Premier Sports ' ' ' 
Share: