xt weeks top-xt weeks top- | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
123 Sep 21 '19
PORTLAND, Ore. Cheap Jerseys From China . -- Jack Sock needed a little time to get up to speed Friday in his first Davis Cup match.Once Sock got his serve straightened out, the U.S. raced to a 2-0 lead over Croatia in the best-of-five quarterfinal tie.Sock overcame a two-set deficit to beat Marin Cilic 4-6, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-4, and John Isner topped Borna Coric 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 in the second match on the Tualatin Hills hard court.The U.S. can wrap up the Davis Cup tie Saturday with a win in the doubles match between twins Bob and Mike Bryan and Ivan Dodig and Marin Draganja. Two reverse singles matches are scheduled for Sunday.Our mindset is were happy, U.S. captain Jim Courier said. For us, its about putting our hard hats on and let Bob and Mike do what they do. I like our chances.The U.S-Croatia winner will advance to the semifinals in September to face the Czech Republic-France winner. The United States is seeking its first semifinals appearance since 2012.The United States is 157-3 when leading 2-0 in Davis Cup competition. The last time the U.S. blew a 2-0 advantage was the 1994 semifinals against Sweden.The Bryan twins are 10-4 in Davis Cup doubles competition.The 23-year-old Sock set the tone Friday, though it took a while to get going. Cilic, No. 12 in the world, rushed to a two-set lead after breaking Sock three times in the second set. But Sock also had his moments during the first two sets, and he used that, along with a bit of inspiration from Courier to fuel a comeback.I had a ton of chances in the second. I didnt get blown off the court. I just had to make a few smarter decisions on the first serve and returning, Sock said.Courier noted that Cilic might be struggling a bit mentally after the 27-year-old Croatian blew a two-set lead to Roger Federer in the Wimbledon quarterfinals less than two weeks ago.I was using that as a little bit of a carrot to keep Jack in there, Courier said.The big-serving Sock bounced back, using an early service break to win the third set. Sock, No. 26 in the world, then pulled even, winning the fourth set by claiming the final two games.Cilic, the 2014 U.S. Open champion, said it wasnt momentum swinging in Socks favor as much as the young American simply improved his play.Jack started to serve really well ... he was not giving me too many chances in the return game, Cilic said.Sock won the fifth set after breaking Cilic to take a 5-4 lead on the Tualatin Hills hard court. Sock won the last four points of the final game, claiming the 3-hour, 13-minute match when Cilic hit his final shot into the net.Sock said the victory is a career highlight.Its up there for sure, Sock said. Havent played a ton of five-setters, havent come back from two-down. To do that in front of the home crowd, it feels really special.The win over Cilic capped a big Friday for Sock, who earlier in the day was named to the U.S. Olympic team.As a kid you grow up and its kind of on your bucket list. Im very excited to get down there and hopefully play some good tennis, Sock said.Isner rode the momentum of Socks comeback win to the three-set win over the 19-year-old Coric.Jack had a lot of positive energy on his side. ... For me, it helps a lot. Took a lot of pressure off me. Regardless of what I do, were not going to be losing. I was in a good spot, thanks to Jack, Isner said.Isner, dominating with his big serve that reached as high as 137 mph, had 23 aces to Corics 3. The 31-year-old Isner, No. 16 in the world and playing in his 20th career Davis Cup match, broke Coric once in each set.I didnt use my chances in the first two sets. I had many chances to break him, and on 5-4 in both sets, I played a really poor game, Coric said.The U.S. last hosted a Davis Cup match in 2014, when it lost in the first round to Britain in San Diego. This is the fourth time Portland has hosted a Davis Cup tie.The United States is trying to break a nine-year Davis Cup title drought. The U.S. won in 2007 when it beat Russia 4-1 in Portland. Croatia claimed its only Davis Cup title in 2005.The U.S. has won a Davis Cup-high 32 titles, but only one since 1995.Should the United States clinch the Davis Cup tie Saturday, Sundays reverse singles matches will be shortened to best-of-three sets. Stitched Authentic Jerseys . - NASCAR announced a 33-race schedule for the 2014 Nationwide Series with virtually no changes from this years slate. Cheap Jerseys Paypal . LOUIS -- The New Orleans Saints looked like a team playing out the string. https://www.chinajerseysfreeshipping.com/ . -- PGA TOUR Canada member Steve Saunders took a three-stroke lead Saturday in the Web. LANDOVER, Md. -- The unsportsmanlike conduct penalty Washington Redskins tight end Vernon Davis drew after a TD for shooting the football at the goalpost like a basketball at a rim is precisely why people joke that NFL stands for No Fun League.Turned out to be a truly consequential flag, too: The 15 yards were assessed on the kickoff, so the ball was booted from Washingtons 20 instead of the 35, and the opponent turned that into a TD return.Youre not taunting. I dont think thats taunting, Davis said after Washington beat the fading Philadelphia Eagles 27-20 Sunday for its fourth consecutive victory. Youre just celebrating, right?Would seem so.In the same category: New York Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. drew a 15-yarder for unsportsmanlike conduct when he yanked off his helmet after scoring on a 66-yard catch-and-run to beat the Baltimore Ravens 27-23.NFL Senior VP of Officiating Dean Blandino posted a video on Twitter to cite the rules that led to the penalties, with a specificity that sounded sort of silly. What he didnt do: Explain why the rules make sense.On the Davis flag, Blandino said: You cant dunk the ball over the goalpost, shoot the ball, finger roll. All of that is illegal.On the Beckham flag, he said: You cannot take your helmet off as part of a celebration, a demonstration or as part of a confrontation with an opponent or a game official.Redskins cornerback Josh Norman -- fined $9,115 this month by the NFL for a bow-and-arrow pantomime after an interception -- called the flag on his teammate Davis crazy and ridiculous.I guess shooting hoops is frowned upon, too. If I slap somebodys hand on a good play, maybe theyre going to call us for that -- who knows? Norman said. When is enough, enough? ... I mean, shoot, thats what we are: We are entertainers.Given the leagues predilection for removing any unchoreographed moments, Detroit Lions receiver Golden Tates pockets might be a little lighter this week. After scoringg during a 31-28 victory over the Los Angeles Rams, he grabbed a cheerleaders pair of blue pompoms and joined in the dancing. Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping. I was going back to the sideline and I just saw these new cheerleaders and I figured, `Hey, why not party with them for a little bit? ... Just having fun, Tate said. Just having a lot of fun.Not sure thats allowed.In case you missed it, here are the other top topics after the NFL seasons sixth Sunday:P.I. OR NOT P.I.?: Julio Jones, coach Dan Quinn and the rest of the Falcons appeared to have a legitimate gripe after their 26-24 loss to the Seahawks. On fourth down with 90 seconds left, Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman clearly grabbed Jones right arm on a deep pass, leading to an incompletion. Quinn protested vigorously on the sideline, yelling and pulling off his hat, to no avail. Jones called it just a missed call. Blandinos predecessor as head of NFL officiating, Mike Pereira, tweeted: No question that was PI. Theyre all tough, but you have to make that call.THE DAK DECISION: At some point, the Dallas Cowboys are going to have to decide whether to restore Tony Romo to his starting quarterback spot or let rookie Dak Prescott keep the job. Prescott is making the choice harder, week by week. His latest trick: Leading Dallas to a 30-16 victory at Aaron Rodgers Green Bay Packers, making it five wins in a row for the Cowboys.BIG BEN: As it is, Pittsburghs 30-15 loss to Miami took some of the luster off next weeks top-of-the-AFC matchup between the Steelers (4-2) and Tom Bradys New England Patriots (5-1). Worse, though, was that Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger hurt his left knee and reportedly needs surgery.---Follow Howard Fendrich on Twitter at http://twitter.com/HowardFendrich---Online:AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and AP NFL Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/AP-NFL ' ' ' 
Share: