h currently holds the majorh currently holds the major | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
123 Aug 11 '19
RIO DE JANEIRO -- Britain may rule the waves on Rios choppy rowing course, but the nations dominance of yet another Olympic regatta has been built on tales of sacrifice and the power of mental strength over physical pain. Nike Shoes Black Friday 2019 .Following Fridays pair of golds, Great Britain would claim another brace of medals in the space of half an hour on the final day of racing at Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas.First the womens eight won silver -- their first ever medal in that class -- before their male counterparts led from start to finish to win their first gold since 2000. It was a ruthless display of British power with those two medals sitting alongside the other three GB have won on these Brazilian waves.For four of the womens eight, plus cox Zoe de Toledo, it was their first Olympics. At the other end of the experience scale was Frances Houghton, appearing in her fifth Games. She will be the self-appointed steward for celebrations Saturday night, and her medal -- which sits alongside silvers in 2004 and 2008 -- capped a remarkable sporting journey.Ive got so many memories I am really proud of, Houghton said. This time I am so proud of my crew. Im really proud of what we put together as nine girls.Im so proud of all the girls since 1997. Our first medal in the world championships in the eight was 1997 and so many girls have put into what you saw today. I am really proud. I am so lucky and privileged to have this experience in a sport I love.Standing in the crowd and willing her on were her mother and fiancee, carrying the flag her late father Robin took to Frances races.With my dad passing away during the racing season in May, it was really hard, Houghton said. But it was also something that gave me great strength. He really helped me get through the hard times in rowing. And we were really under pressure, and there were lots of trials going on at the time.But it made me know for sure that I wanted to be rowing. I could have walked away from it and said, No, this is more important. But he really wanted me to be rowing.He passed away maybe six days before I was selected for the fifth Games. I think he knew that I had done enough. The girls have just been incredible. When I was rowing, it was just all about rowing and I was so lucky to have the rowing to get me through that, and my dad to get me through the rowing.As the women went about their post-race media duties, some cried, some let out their emotion through screams and shouts of celebrations, and all embraced. Then the mens eight stormed to victory behind them on the Lagoa.Cue an immediate return to scenes of British pride and celebration, rivaling the patriotic outpourings of the Last Night of the Proms.But there was no pomp and circumstance about the way the men executed their race. They ignored the opposition and focused on the job in hand, their collective thousand-mile stare married with the agonizing pain engulfing their bodies.Afterwards the rowers struggled to relay their emotions. It was too fresh, but there was a clarity behind their message: This was an effort built on sacrifice, focus and teamwork.The fact that weve done it three years on the trot in the world championships meant we were there to be shot down, Will Satch said. And having the confidence to go out there and do it over and over again -- we havent had the best year, but that was the strongest eight we could have put out.Its awesome, heroic.Rio was Pete Reeds third Olympic gold, following on from triumphs in the coxswainless four at 2008 and 2012. He was reluctant to compare one to another -- unsure whether he will continue to Tokyo 2020 -- but as he weighed up the sacrifices made, it felt like a stream of consciousness as his achievement sunk in.Ive been sacrificing things for a very long time, he said Ive sacrificed my career in the navy, Ive sacrificed relationships, time with family, my dogs and seeing my friends. Im so sorry to my friends for not seeing them enough and Im so sorry to my family to for not seeing them enough. But you ask yourself -- is it worth it?Thats what I had to go through in the middle of this Olympiad. I won in London ... What did I have to prove? Who did I have to prove it to? But you go through these tough times and with the help of [coach] Jurgen [Grobler], Hodgey [Andrew Triggs Hodge] and the crews support.But above all the personal stories, incredible tales of bravery, sacrifice and determination, there was a clear message to the watching public. Britains incredible power in the rowing, despite some disappointments on the water earlier in the week, is still there.And the general hope is that others will have seen this and will want to become the next Grainger, Thornley, Stanning, Glover, Sbihi, Louloudis, Gregory, Nash, Greves, Wilson, Houghton, Swann, Eddie, Carnegie-Brown, Bennett, Lee, De Toledo, Bennett, Durant, Gotrel, Triggs Hodge, Langridge, Ransley, Reed, Satch and Hill.Its times like these that you just think you could do this forever, Reed said. This is the greatest sport, its the greatest feeling. Even the sacrifices are worth it. When you think its too much, when you think you cant do anymore.Those youngsters out there today watching Hodgey, watching me, watching Katherine two days ago, Helen and Heather, and whoever they look up to in the British team -- they will be going through as well.[Theyll think] Blisters hurt, I cant do this for studying, I cant do this because of a job --but just find your inner strength, find time to balance everything because its the greatest sport in the world. Nike Shoes Black Friday Sale .Y. -- Canadas Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse have another World Cup gold medal after winning the two-women bobsled race on Saturday in Lake Placid, N. Fake Nike Shoes Black Friday . Sgt. Eric ONeal says most of the arrests at Monday nights game were for public drunkenness, though one person was taken into custody on suspicion of trying to steal a seat from the stadium. http://www.nikeshoesblackfriday.com/ . Murray beat Sam Querrey 7-6 (5), 6-7 (3), 6-1, 6-3 to clinch Britains opening-round victory against the United States on Sunday at Petco Park. "Im proud of the way Im playing just now, because I had to do a lot of work to get back to where I want to be," Murray said after celebrating with his teammates on the red clay court in a temporary stadium in left field of the downtown home of baseballs San Diego Padres. David Hayes is looking to consolidate the future of the Lindsay Park empire with plans for a third training centre..Hayes, who trains in partnership with his son Ben and nephew Tom Dabernig, has set up a country training base at Euroa complemented by a metropolitan base at Flemington.With some uncertainty over the future of training at Flemington in the years ahead, Lindsay Park has bought two stabling plots at the Pakenham Racing Clubs complex at Tynong.Hayes says there are no immediate plans to build on the plots which, when combined, are the size of Lindsay Parks Flemington operation.He said establishing new stables at Pakenham would fit in perfectly with what the stable already has at Euroa and Flemington.Theres going to be 40 or 50 meetings a season at Pakenham, Hayes said.It makes perfect sense to have a stable here, especially with the number of night meetings.Cranbourne is not far away and it is as strong as anything. Morningtons not far away either and Sales just down the road.Its a logical place to set up and youure still not far from the city. Nike Shoes Black Friday Discount. The training facilities will only improve and theyre clearly going to be racing here more and more and theyve got the room to grow with the amenities.The view is well build the facility here in time and watch the place grow and flourish.Its a very exciting place.Hayes said the complex was still in its infancy but would be a benefit to the industry when complete.There are plans to extend the 1000m chute on the turf track to include a 1200m start which will in turn take pressure off the home turn.And there are also plans to create a grass training track inside the synthetic track which currently holds the majority of Pakenhams meetings.The Lindsay Park operation had a day out at Saturdays Pakenham Cup meeting winning four races including the days feature with Pilote Dessai.Every horse gets their chance here and its only going to get better, Hayes said. ' ' ' 
Share: