Vey was inserted into the forward spot opened | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
123 May 18 '19
AKRON, Ohio -- So much for course knowledge. Air Max 90 Ireland Outlet . Webb Simpson, playing his first competitive round at Firestone Country Club, shot a 6-under 64 on Thursday to take a one-stroke lead in the Bridgestone Invitational. It all came down to trust. "Well, I knew it all through my caddie (Paul Tesori), whos been here so many years," Simpson said. "I just kind of had to listen to him." Tesori has caddied for years on tour, for Vijay Singh and Jerry Kelly, in addition to being a pro himself. "Its hard for us players to listen to our caddies, but he basically showed me where to go yesterday and told me where to hit it, where the lines were, what clubs to hit," said Simpson, the 2012 U.S. Open champion. "I didnt feel like it was my first time because he has so much experience here." Seven-time Bridgestone winner Tiger Woods did not have to rely so much on the man on his bag, Joe LaCava, while shooting a 66. Woods has 11 top-10 finishes in his 13 starts at the course, so he clearly knows where to go. Still, he needed his counsel from time to time. "I hit a lot of good shots. I had a really good feel for the distance today, and Joey and I really read the wind right today," Woods said after his best opening round at the course since another 66 spurred him to a one-shot victory in 2005. "We changed a lot of shots out there, and we both had a really good handle on what we were doing feel-wise with the wind." Henrik Stenson was alone in second with a 65. Defending champion Keegan Bradley, Ryan Moore and Chris Wood, another first-time entrant, matched Woods at 66. Simpson had six birdies in an eight-hole span. There was only one glitch. "I wish I didnt bogey the last hole," he said after missing the green on the par 4 and failing to get up and down. "Its one area Ive got to get better at. When Im between clubs, hitting more club and swinging easy is where Ive been struggling. "You know, theres always something to work on." Simpson hasnt won this season. He called his year "encouraging and frustrating." "I feel like Ive let a couple of tournaments go that maybe I should have closed out," he said. Stenson started out birdie, eagle -- hitting his second shot 243 yards on the par-5 hole to inside 4 feet. He slowed down from there, parring every hole except for birdies at the 11th and 12th holes. He had more problems with his outfit than the course. He was breaking in a new pair of shoes and felt a blister coming on at the turn, so had to switch to an older pair that didnt necessarily fit with his ensemble. "They might not match the outfit perfectly, but it felt like I had socks on compared to the other ones," he said, grinning. Woods would have a nice career if only World Golf Championship events, such as the Bridgestone, counted. He won three in a row (1999-2001) at Firestone, then had three top-five finishes before reeling off victories in his next four appearances (2005-2009), and missing the 2008 tournament while recovering from knee surgery. In 41 WGC starts, he has 32 top-10 finishes. Theres something about Firestone that brings out the best in him. "Luckily, over the years Ive taken advantage of it," he said. "I have played well and Ive scored well, and Ive won my share of tournaments here." Bradley won the Bridgestone a year ago when he shot a closing 64, and Jim Furyk, who had led all week, double-bogeyed the closing hole. Bradley put together a workmanlike, efficient 66 that didnt include a bogey. The 2011 PGA Championship winner doesnt want to stress out on defending his title. "No, its business as usual," he said. "I just want to not put too much pressure on myself to do anything crazy. I know this golf course fits me, so to let the course come to me is big here." Another shot back at 67 in the star-studded field were Furyk, Jason Dufner, Bubba Watson, Rickie Fowler, Bill Haas and Luke Donald. Fowler was speaking for a lot of players when he said that there are a lot of similarities between Firestone and Oak Hill, the site of the PGA Championship next week. "If the course stays dry and it starts to firm up through the weekend, its very comparable as far as youve got to drive the ball well and position yourself off the tee," said Fowler, who practiced at Oak Hill on Monday. "Its a great warm-up here, but obviously this is one of our bigger weeks of the year, too. Two great weeks, back-to-back, and two great golf courses." While the worlds top-ranked player, Woods, was in prime position, that wasnt necessarily the case for Nos. 2 and 3. Phil Mickelson, coming off his dramatic victory at the British Open two weeks ago, struggled with his concentration and came in with a 72. "Tonight Ill get a little bit more rest and try not to do too much and see if I can come out tomorrow a little bit more focused," he said. He missed two par putts inside 3 feet on consecutive holes early in his round. Rory McIlroy shot a 70. The defending PGA champion is winless this year. "I just threw a few shots away around the greens," he said. "You know, you start to save shots there and all of a sudden youre 3- , 4- or 5-under par." Cheap Nike Shoes Ireland . 1 position. The Mustangs (6-0), who beat Queens 50-31 last weekend, earned 17 first-place votes and 287 points in voting by the Football Reporters of Canada. Western was last ranked first in the country in October 2011. Air Max 90 Ireland Online .C. - The Carolina Hurricanes have placed backup goalie Anton Khudobin on injured reserve with an unspecified lower-body injury. http://www.airmax90outletireland.com/ . After dropping their final six games of December, the Wild opened the new calendar year with four consecutive wins. Following a loss to Colorado on Saturday, Minnesota rebounded the following night to blank Nashville 4-0, but then had the tables turned on them Tuesday. CALGARY, Alberta -- Stopped twice on dangerous chances earlier, Michael Frolik wasnt about to let Mike Smith deny him a third time.Frolik scored 49 seconds into overtime to give the Calgary Flames a 2-1 win over the Arizona Coyotes on Wednesday night.Frolik stole the puck from Brad Richardson after a faceoff in the Flames end and skated in at top speed and ripped a shot inside the post on Coyotes goalie Mike Smith for his team-leading sixth of the season.I saw a little bit more space outside to maybe go to the backhand, Frolik said, but last second I saw a guy coming across so I just tried to shoot it glove side and it went in.After a scoreless first period, Frolik had a great chance in the opening minute of the second but Smith jabbed out a pad to deny him from in close. Five minutes later, Smith throw up his glove and stabbed his snap shot from 20 feet out.Sometimes its frustrating when you have chances like that and it doesnt go in, Frolik said. But I just try not to think about it and just keep going and try to do a little better on the next shot.Matthew Tkachuk scored in regulation for Calgary, which snapped a three-game home skid. Chad Johnson started for the second straight night and finished with 20 saves.Tobias Rieder scored for Arizona and Smith, back after missing 12 games with a knee injury, stopped 22 shots.Rieder gave the Coyotes the lead with 18 seconds remaining in the second period as he pounced on the rebound of Justin Martinooks shot and buried it behind Johnson.Were turning the puck over too much and bringing trouble on ourselves, not generating very much and turnovers are making us play too much in our own end, Arizona coach Dave Tippett said.Calgary, limited to 13 shots through the first 40 minutes, tied it at 6:40 of the third as Tkachuk fired a shot from a sharp angle just above the goal line under the crossbar for his fourth.Any time a goal like that goes in is deflating for the whole team. Thats on me, Smith said. It could have been a 1-0 game and were feeling a loot different coming into the locker room tonight. Wholesale Air Max Ireland. Flames coach Glen Gulutzan continues to be impressed by the 18-year-old Tkachuk.It was one heck of a shot, Gulutzan said. There wasnt any room there. He made a big play. Hed been working all night, like he usually does. Im happy for him.The Flames controlled play ijn the third but couldnt get a go-ahead goal. Among Smiths stops in the period was a stick save on Dennis Wideman and a sharp pad stop on Troy Brouwer.After an uneventful and scoreless first period, Calgary went to the attack to begin the second. On the opening shift, Tkachuk shot wide on a partial breakaway, Smith jabbed out a pad to deny Frolik from in-tight and TJ Brodies wrist shot from the low slot was turned aside.Five minutes later, Frolik had another dangerous chance from in front only to be thwarted again, this time Smith throwing up his glove to stab Froliks snap shot from 20 feet out.It was the first game in what will be an extended stretch for Calgary without leading scorer Johnny Gaudreau, who underwent finger surgery on Wednesday after getting injured Tuesday night in Minnesota.Every guy recognizes that we lost a really good player and now collectively, we have to play a certain way to get ourselves in a position to get points in this league, Gulutzan said. Its certainly hurt us as a hockey club but we look at it as something we can rally around and try to find a true identity here.Sam Bennett took his spot on the top line with Sean Monahan and Brouwer.Game notes Linden Vey was inserted into the forward spot opened up by Gaudreaus injury. ... Arizonas Martin Hanzal (lower body) returned after missing six games. ... Defensemen Luke Schenn and Kevin Connauton returned to the Coyotes lineup with Connor Murphy and rookie Jakob Chychrun taking a seat.UP NEXTCoyotes: At Vancouver on Thursday night.Flames: Host Chicago on Friday night. ' ' '
Share: