no matter the outcome on Feb. 1. | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
miaowang123
miaowang123 Dec 11 '17
MINNEAPOLIS -- Diagnosed with cancer in his neck, Minnesota Twins general manager Terry Ryan has taken leave from his job for treatment and recovery. Reilly Smith Jersey . The timetable for his return is unclear, but the prognosis is optimistic. Though sobered by and concerned about the news, the Twins expressed confidence in the ability of their front offices long-time leader to beat the disease and get back to running the team. "I dont doubt hell get this knocked out," assistant general manager Rob Antony said. "Hes a tough bird, as he would say." The Twins released a statement on Monday from Ryan, who thanked his doctors, friends and colleagues for their work and support. "Its my intention to see you back at the ballpark as soon as possible," Ryan said. During his recent annual physical exam, the 60-year-old Ryan asked team physician Dr. Vijay Eyunni to examine a hard lump on his neck about an inch in diameter that had appeared a few weeks earlier. Further tests revealed squamous cell carcinoma. The squamous cells are in several parts of the body, but Eyunni said the source and cause of the cancer was undetermined. All that was known, he said, was that it was in his lymph node but had not spread to anywhere else. "The good news is we caught it early," Eyuinni said, adding: "As you know, both mentally and physically, hes very strong. So with treatment and radiation, its going to help him a lot. Hell recover better than someone who is not healthy." Ryan was at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and expected to have surgery on Tuesday. Radiation treatment will likely follow. But once removed, Eyunni said, this type of cancer does not come back. "It should be completely done. It does not regenerate anymore," Eyunni said. Despite the positive outlook for a full recovery, this close-knit organization felt a collective anxiety and letdown upon learning of Ryans condition. "My family is praying for Terry Ryan and his family. Cancer is a terrible thing and we are hoping for a fast recovery," reliever Brian Duensing said on Twitter. "Cancer news hit close to home today. Sickened to hear about one of the men I respect most. My prayers are with you Terry," closer Glen Perkins tweeted. Manager Ron Gardenhire, in an email, said hes had a "rough few days" in regard to Ryans cancer. "You wont find a better boss or a better friend," Gardenhire said. Ryans primary concern, his colleagues said, was with his wife and adult children and how they would take the news. "But beyond that, he took it really well," Eyunni said. "He says, Doc, lets move on. I want to get this done." Ryan initially became general manager in 1994, stepping down 13 years later, citing burnout. After serving as a special assistant to general manager Bill Smith for four seasons, Smith was reassigned, and Ryan reassumed the job in 2011. In his statement, Ryan expressed confidence in Gardenhire, Antony and the rest of the baseball operations department to keep the Twins on the right track. "I met with Terry last week when he told all of us what was going on, and I started asking him questions about how he wanted me to handle this and that, and he just looked at me and basically said, Youve been around here long enough. Youve been in all these meetings. You know what goes on in spring training. Just go down and do your thing," Antony said. "He said, You know what youre doing. So that felt good." In addition to vice-president of player personnel Mike Radcliff, a member of the organization since 1987, special assistants Smith and Wayne Krivsky and have each previously been major league general managers, Krivsky with Cincinnati. For now, theres no plan on when or how much to consult with Ryan regarding general operations and key decisions. Antony told Ryan to call him when he feels good enough to participate. The Twins start spring training in Fort Myers, Fla., next week. "All I want to hear is the call that he says he had his checkup and the thing is completely gone and now he can start getting back to a normal routine and life, and whether that comes in March or April or whatever, it doesnt matter," Antony said. "Its the end result more than anything." He added: "There comes a time you need to put your family and your personal health and everything in front of your job and the game, and hes a smart enough guy to know that this is the time to do that right now." Denis Malgin Jersey . Berkman almost left the game last off-season before signing with the Texas Rangers. He then had another injury-plagued season and was limited to 73 games. Connor Brickley Jersey . Calgary finished atop the CFL standings with a 14-4 record and earned the right to host the West Division final at McMahon Stadium on Nov.BOSTON - Make no mistake: New England fans are pumped, not deflated.As the NFL investigates how footballs got deflated during the AFC Championship game, and detractors accuse the team of cheating, very little air seems to have gone out of Patriots Nation and its Super Bowl euphoria.Die-hard fans have been poking fun at the latest controversy swirling around the franchise. There are Deflatriots bumper stickers, Deflaters Gonna Deflate T-shirts and even Deflategate cookies shaped like saggy little footballs with icing laces.Much ado about nothing, said David Schultz, who works in IT in Boston.I think its ridiculous. Its like theyre going after Brady and Belichick, said David Ellis, a civil engineer from Falmouth.Patriots fans are used to playing defence.Theyre still fending off criticism of Spygate — revelations that New England videotaped the New York Jets signals during a 2007 game. Coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000, and the team was fined $250,000 and stripped of its 2008 first-round draft choice by the league.For several years, the Patriots have been the team the rest of America loves to hate, in part because of their success. Eight Super Bowl berths and three NFL titles (the last in 2004) will do that to a team.Quarterback Tom Bradys good looks and supermodel wife probably dont help. Nor does Belichicks trademark scowl, worn on and off the field, with or without the hoodie. Those who revile New England accuse it of hypocrissy for using underinflated balls while preaching the Patriot way — Belichicks insistence that his players avoid trash talk and do their jobs. Jaromir Jagr Jersey. .Little wonder, then, that social media would blow up over Deflategate, which was trending Thursday on Twitter. Or that Pats fans would laugh off that and other hashtags, which have included Belicheat, Ballghazi and Hate-riots.Nick Stevens, a popular online Boston sports commentator whose alter ego is Fitzy, has a simple if crude response to anyone who suggests the Patriots gained an unfair advantage over the Colts and cheated their way to Glendale, Arizona:Deflate this.We ignore the noise, embrace the hate. Its the coal that fires our engines, he says in a mock Patriots news conference circulating on YouTube.Its not just New England fans who are having a little fun at the teams expense. Krispy Kreme tweeted an ad showing a football-shaped doughnut with the line: Ours are fully filled.Etsy stores sprang up overnight, hawking shirts with slogans such as They hate us cause they aint us, a reference to a line James Franco uses in his latest movie with Seth Rogen, The Interview.Critics insist the Patriots legacy will be forever tarnished no matter the outcome on Feb. 1. But faithful fans like Luis Mariano arent buying that.Right now its the Patriots vs the world, he said. And Im sticking with the Patriots.___AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and http://twitter.com/ap_nfl ;Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
Share: